Main Menu

ExifToolGUI v4 Questions

Started by 32110, October 28, 2010, 06:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogdan - many thanks for v4 of your ExifToolGUI

When I select Details , Loacation Info nothing appears in the location fields. Location info in my .jpg file is located as lat/lon in GPS section of EXIF data and more detail in IPTC. Any ideas why nothing appears in the Locations fields?

BogdanH

Hi,

Data shown in filelist (except if Details:Standard is selected) is from Exif and Xmp section only. That is: Location info shown in filelist only displays location data (Country, State, City and Location) from Xmp section.
You might have noticed, that filelist refresh is allredy quite slow when using non-Standard details view and you have several hundred files in directory -adding IPTC tags here, would decrease speed even more.

Why I choosed Xmp instead of IPTC (if you're intersted)?
Speaking for me, IPTC is easier/faster to "decode" than Xmp, so IPTC would be preferred in this case. But, world goes Xmp way: most known applications allready write data into Xmp -many users don't even notice, that so called "IPTC" data is actually being written into Xmp section.

Nothing is wrong if you keep your location data inside IPTC section (except, that non-Standard details view, and maybe Quick view button, isn't that much usefull feature for you). But, if you decide switching to Xmp in the future, you can easy transfer data from IPTC to Xmp.

Bogdan