Exiftool GUI "not responding" . Newbie alert

Started by mikebhm, November 05, 2010, 04:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikebhm

I have put Exiftool GUI, and Exiftool (renamed) and all associated files into a folder Exiftool which I created, C/Windows/Exiftool, with a desktop shortcut to Exiftool GUI.

This is all in Vista 32 bit running in Parallels on a Mac Pro.

I launch Exiftool GUI and it opens, I can see and browse all the data.

What I am trying to use it for is to put back the Maker data into TIFF and JPEGs exported from Aperture, which strips this out. I have original RAW NEF file and a TIFF exported by ViewNX (which does not strip it out) as two alternative sources of the maker data.

So I am trying to "import metadata into a single file", the source being one the two with the maker data intact.

As soon as I hit the execute button I get the spinning wheel which turns into Application not responding after a few minutes.

I have tried exporting a MIE from the files with the Maker data intact, but it hangs again.

Thanks for any help.

BogdanH

Hi,

Because I don't know about "Vista in parallels on a Mac Pro", one question first: despite the problem you have described, can you otherwise use ExifToolGUI normally for editing matadata?

If the problem is only when you try to copy (restore) medatada from nef into jpg/tif, then there might be some problem with jpg/tif files... Have you tried to delete all medatada inside jpg/tif file first, and then use "Import metadata into single file"?

I've checked again: here I have few NEF samples, and I can export/import metadata to jpg/tif without problems... so it's hard to guess (especially if you're running ExifToolGUI on "Vista in parallels on Mac Pro").
Can you post jpg file sample (coming from Aperture) and a mie file created from nef file, so I can tryout here?

Bogdan

mikebhm

Thanks for quick reply.

I have had to go away (from my desktop Mac Pro) for a few days unexectedly so cant't try anything till I get back.

Windows in Parallels (virtualisation, not emulation) usually works very well. The only times I had any issues are occasionally when external interfaces are involved (USB eSATA etc).

I will try and answer your questions when I get back.

Mike

mikebhm

Quote from: BogdanH on November 05, 2010, 01:40:25 PM
Hi,

Because I don't know about "Vista in parallels on a Mac Pro", one question first: despite the problem you have described, can you otherwise use ExifToolGUI normally for editing matadata?

If the problem is only when you try to copy (restore) medatada from nef into jpg/tif, then there might be some problem with jpg/tif files... Have you tried to delete all medatada inside jpg/tif file first, and then use "Import metadata into single file"?

I've checked again: here I have few NEF samples, and I can export/import metadata to jpg/tif without problems... so it's hard to guess (especially if you're running ExifToolGUI on "Vista in parallels on Mac Pro").
Can you post jpg file sample (coming from Aperture) and a mie file created from nef file, so I can tryout here?

Bogdan

I can change metadata, and it gets successfully saved, but puts up a message like:
"Image/Exiftool/XMP.pm did not return a true value at (eval 20) line 3. can't find table Image ::ExifTool::XMP::exif
1 image file updated"

I can also export all metadata from a NEF as a .txt, but it hangs if I try to export as MIE.

If I try exporting metadata from the NEF as XMP I get a message like:
" Warning no writable tags found -filename.NEF
Error, nothing to write
0 image files updated
1 file weren'tupdated due to errors"

I tried deleteing all metadata from a jpeg before doing a "import metadata into single file". The deleting worked, but it hung again on the import.

Does this help at all?

Thanks very much for the help

Phil Harvey

It sounds like there was a problem in the exiftool installation.  You should be able to fix this by uninstalling and re-installing exiftool (instructions here), although often just deleting the exiftool temporary files is sufficient.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

mikebhm

Thanks Phil,

I uninstalled everything (including the temp files) and started again, and all is well. Just what I hoped it would be and do.

Thanks very much.

Mike

Philnick

By the way, Parallels is a very cool hypervisor program that runs on OS X Macs that have Intel processors, and enables multiple virtual machines running different operating systems. I put it on my fiancee's Mac so she could use the Windows version of Quicken (the mac version doesn't do anywhere near as much and doesn't even read Windows Quicken's data files). I also use it to run my old Windows remote control program to access my home and office desktops - that combo is faster than my Core 2 Duo XP Pro laptop!

So XP Pro, SP3 is running alongside OS X (no reboot needed) with icons on the Mac desktop to start Windows programs! During the installation, XP Pro had to reboot the usual endless number of times, including updates, which didn't bother OS X, which continued playing internet radio without a hiccup. Just to further confuse matters, there's even an option to make the controls on Windows program's frames look like OS X's.

They even put out a migration program for moving up to Win7 on an XP machine while preserving all the installed applications and settings - which Microsoft said couldn't be done.

BogdanH

Hi,

I've asked about Paralles in general.. just to eliminate things, which might influence ExifToolGUI behaviour. I use PC/Windows, where similar software exist (i.e VirtualBox) -but I don't use/need such things right now.
Anyway, I'm glad to hear, that GUI can be used on Mac too  :)

Greetings,
Bogdan