Main Menu

You are here

Started by Phil Harvey, November 21, 2010, 11:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Harvey

Just for your interest, here is a picture of me at my desk.  The ExifTool forum is hosted by the Mac Mini on my desktop, indicated by "You are here" in the picture:

Note the vintage monitor.  I really should update to a more current system. :P

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

WAZAAAAA

Did I just see a Gingerbread Man above your (super modern) monitor? :o

Phil Harvey

The red man is a wind-up dancing robot.  Sorta cool actually.  And the little toys are from chocolate Kinder eggs.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BogdanH

Hi,

Great idea with that photo of yours. And good to know how small it is "where we are" -I'll be carefull with GUI package size :)

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

Quote from: BogdanH on November 22, 2010, 12:05:06 PM
-I'll be carefull with GUI package size :)

LOL.  Thanks. :)

- Phil

Jom

Oh! Great!
There is even an opportunity to look into the world of ExifTool and its author.
But it seems to me that the Chronicle needs updating.  ;)
How about today's photo, Phil?
I'm curious.

Phil Harvey

Here's an updated picture that I just took.  The iMac you see beside me replaced the old Mac Mini in 2011, and hosted the forums for a while, but now they are hosted by a separate provider.

Jom

Thank you, Phil, this is interesting.
After 10 years, the same table, cabinet, socket ... Unexpected constancy.

Phil Harvey

Yeah, and probably the same boxes and piles of paper on the same very old PowerComputing Mac (circa 1996) behind me...

I guess this means that I haven't cleaned up my desk in over 20 years.  :P

Jom

20 years...
So the first photo was taken after 10 years?!
You surprised us. We were comparing the details with interest and finding the same things. I see such constancy for the first time.  :)

Phil Harvey

Yes.  I've been at this desk since 1996.  I started with SNO in 1990, but I had a different desk then, a few offices over.  My first job in the department was as a summer student in 1982.  I started working full time here doing medical imaging with another group after I graduated in 1987, and joined the SNO group when the medical project ended.

However I'm retiring in April, so I'm finally moving on...

- Phil

Jom

1982... — a whole epoch in comparison with the length life of a man. And somewhere in its depths, ExifTool had appeared. I can only guess how much you have to do with this table. Thank you, Phil, for sharing the story, which has amazing constancy for me (I've changed about 15 activities and places). Let a new era will begin this April, better than the old one, for you and for ExifTool.

Ilhzak

I use my laptop and im at home for these coming months.