Shifting datetimedigitized is incorrect for more than one file

Started by Martin B., November 29, 2010, 10:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin B.

While correcting the time in a set of CR2 and XMP files, I noticed that my XMP files sometimes ended up with the wrong time. I have not verified yet if my CR2 files have the same problem.

I can reproduce the problem like this:
Create an empty directory
Copy the two attached XMP files in this directory, name them file1.XMP and file2.XMP (the file names do not seem to matter)
Run the following:
exiftool -v5 -datetimedigitized-=0:0:5 file?.xmp
This is the result (note the time that is not shifted by exactly 5 seconds in file2.xmp)
Shifting XMP-exif:DateTimeDigitized if tag exists
======== file1.xmp
Rewriting file1.xmp...
  FileType = XMP
  MIMEType = application/rdf+xml
    - XMP-exif:DateTimeDigitized = '2010-07-28T15:35:57.59-04:00'
    + XMP-exif:DateTimeDigitized = '2010-07-28T15:35:52.59-04:00'
======== file2.xmp
Rewriting file2.xmp...
  FileType = XMP
    - XMP-exif:DateTimeDigitized = '2010-07-28T15:40:38.37-04:00'
    + XMP-exif:DateTimeDigitized = '2010-07-28T15:40:32.63-04:00'
    2 image files updated

If, under the same original conditions, I shift the time in only the second file:
exiftool -v5 -datetimedigitized-=0:0:5 file2.xmp
The time is shifted correctly, by exactly 5 seconds:
Shifting XMP-exif:DateTimeDigitized if tag exists
======== file2.xmp
Rewriting file2.xmp...
  FileType = XMP
    - XMP-exif:DateTimeDigitized = '2010-07-28T15:40:38.37-04:00'
    + XMP-exif:DateTimeDigitized = '2010-07-28T15:40:33.37-04:00'
    1 image files updated

My environment:
>uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-5.1 borduas 1.5.25(0.156/4/2) 2008-06-12 19:34 i686 Cygwin
>exiftool -ver

Thanks for any explanation, workaround or fix.

Martin

Phil Harvey

Hi Martin,

You get the prize for discovering a bug in ExifTool!

Thank you very much for pointing this out.  The problem only occurs when shifting multiple date/time values with fractional seconds.

This will be fixed in the next release.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Martin B.

Phil,

The fix is enough of a prize. Thanks!

I regularly shift time by a few seconds in pictures taken with multiple cameras, to maintain a coherent timeline across multiple sets. I guess I now have many, many pictures with incorrect dates, and I deleted the originals months ago.

Do you know if:
1. this bug has always been in ExifTool?
2. the time error is limited (a second or less) or completely random?

Thanks,

Martin

Phil Harvey

Hi Martin,

The time error is due to a bug in the handling of the fractional seconds, and does not affect times with integer seconds.  The maximum error for affected times due to this bug should be 2 seconds.

You may be able to compare affected date/time values with other values in the same file to determine the correct time.  Only XMP date/time values could be affected since other formats (EXIF and IPTC for example) do not support fractional seconds in the time string.

I apologize for any inconvenience this bug causes, and thank you again for pointing out this problem.

- Phil

Edit: I forgot about the GPS:TimeStamp tag which also supports fractional seconds.  I think this is the only non-XMP tag which could be affected.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

Hi Martin,

I have prepared a pre-release of the Perl version of Image-ExifTool-8.41, available for download here.

If would be helpful if you are able to test this out.

Thanks.

- Phil

Martin B.

Hi Phil,

I just tested 8.41 on about a dozen files, compared the dates after a negative shift of 5 seconds, and it seems to work properly. Thanks!

My Canon XSi does seem to generate fractional time, but not in a native tag, only in a composite, if that's what you mean by "do not support fractional seconds in the time string".

exiftool -*date* -G file_0003.cr2
[File]          File Modification Date/Time     : 2010:07:28 14:40:40-04:00
[EXIF]          Modify Date                     : 2010:07:28 15:40:33
[EXIF]          Date/Time Original              : 2010:07:28 15:40:33
[EXIF]          Create Date                     : 2010:07:28 15:40:33
[Composite]     Create Date                     : 2010:07:28 15:40:33.37
[Composite]     Date/Time Original              : 2010:07:28 15:40:33.37
[Composite]     Modify Date                     : 2010:07:28 15:40:33.37

Martin

Phil Harvey

Quote from: gamin on November 30, 2010, 08:07:43 PM
I just tested 8.41 on about a dozen files, compared the dates after a negative shift of 5 seconds, and it seems to work properly.

Excellent.  Thanks for testing this.

My Canon XSi does seem to generate fractional time, but not in a native tag, only in a composite, if that's what you mean by "do not support fractional seconds in the time string".

Yes.  The Composite date/time tags are not writable so they are not affected by this bug.

- Phil