Rob Lewis' List Exif Metadata crashing

Started by GeorgeReis, December 28, 2010, 01:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeReis

I am on a mid-2010 MacBook Pro (i7) running 10.6.5 and every time I attempt to run Rob Lewis' droplet it crashes with a "List Exif Metadata quit unexpectedly" dialog. I get the same thing with all three of the droplets. I do have ExifTool installed in the right place and typing exiftool in the Terminal gives me the ExifTool info that would lead me to assume that it is properly installed.

Is it not compatible with either this hardware or this OS - or is there something else that may be causing this problem? Any help is appreciated.

BTW, I used to be able to use these droplets - and can't recall if it was prior to moving to 10.6 or prior to getting this machine. I'm assuming that it was one of those changes that is causing the problem, however. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Or, if someone has another GUI for the Mac that works with ExifTool, I'd appreciate suggestions. I'm just interested in viewing every EXIF tag, I have no need to modify any of them - and I want to make sure that I'm seeing every possible tag.

George

Phil Harvey

I think it is more likely that you forgot to install ExifTool on your new system.  I just tried here and the Rob Lewis droplets work fine for me on an iMac running 10.6.5.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

GeorgeReis

Thanks - but ExifTool is working fine, albeit, it requires effort because I'm not good at command line stuff. I've also re-downloaded the droplets and still no go. I guess it's something with my system.

Additionally, while writing this I decided to try the droplets again with a small file on my internal hard drive, rather than with a larger file from my blu ray drive. It worked. So then I tried it with a file from the blu ray drive again. Crash. I disconnected the blu ray drive and tried it again with the smaller, local file - still crashing. It's a mystery to me.

Phil Harvey

I took a look at the AppleScript.  The script will fail if the directory or filename contains a quote.  I know it is unlikely, but it is worth a shot.  There may be some other special characters that will cause problems too, but spaces in the name should be OK.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

Also, it may help to run the script in the AppleScript Editor.  With some luck it could give you a better indication of the source of the problem.

- Phil

GeorgeReis

Running in the AS Editor did the trick - now they are all working consistently - thanks!