Keywords to Subject

Started by airjrdn, January 05, 2011, 06:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airjrdn

I'm attempting to migrate tags/categories from ACDSee to Digikam. In ACDSee I'm able to write (ACDSee's) Categories to EXIF:UserComment. I'd like to follow that up with an exiftool command to copy or move those so Digikam sees them as Tags.

To determine what Digikam needs for that to happen, I tagged an image within Digikam with two tags, then used exiftool (-k).exe to see what got written.

It shows the two tags I added for both Subject and Keywords.

However, if I run the following exiftool command in an attempt to copy those ACDSee written "Catagrories" to IPTC:Keywords

Quoteexiftool "-EXIF:UserComment>IPTC:Keywords" -r -F -overwrite_original .

Digikam doesn't show them as tags. It does however show them as IPTC Keywords within Digikam.

Any suggestions on what exiftool command I might try to get Digikam to see them as Tags?

Thanks in advance

Phil Harvey

I think that writing to MWG:Keywords instead of IPTC:Keywords may solve your problem.  See the MWG Tag Name documentation for details.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

airjrdn

Thank you!  I'll give it a shot.

airjrdn

That does appear to have worked, but the 5 tags all come into Digikam as a single tag with commas & spaces.  Is there a way to break those up so they come in as individual tags?

Phil Harvey

The -sep option is used to specify the separator string for automatically splitting list-type tags when writing.   Commonly, the separator is COMMA+SPACE: -sep ", ", as appears to be the case here.

(I hope someone besides me is impressed that exiftool has this ability.)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

airjrdn

I think that did it.  Thank you so much.  I'll give it a thorough test later this evening.

Honestly, I'm impressed with exiftool as a whole.  I'm amazed at how well it does everything it's built to do.  And I sincerely appreciate the time you've invested in it.