Batched command line update for AVI files

Started by Wenzel, February 08, 2011, 09:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wenzel

I'm a newbie to ExifTool but not to command lines (windows only).

I'm trying to set the Date Taken for @ 1,200 AVI files in a folder to be the same as Date Saved - the problme being that I irecovered these from a failing HDD and in the process the metatdata got messed up - Date Saved is pretty close to when these were taken so at least if I recover Date Taken to match I can then sort etc into folders so my wife/kids can find what they are lookign for.

Have done my reading but keep getting syntax errors so I'm certain I'm missing something with how the command line is structured.

Appreciate if someone can suggest what the command syntax should be so I can retry and see where I'm going wrong.

Sorry if this is a post elsewhere in the forum - I did search and couldn't find a similar post.

Regards and thanks in advance

Wenzel

Phil Harvey

Hi Wenzel,

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but the following command will set the filesystem modification date/time from the metadata for all AVI files in directory DIR:

exiftool "-filemodifydate<datetimeoriginal" -ext AVI DIR

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).