"Can't open perl script "-e"; No such file or directory" running ExifTool.exe

Started by Allen B. Taylor, February 10, 2011, 01:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Harvey

I'm just confused because this is not what I observed.  In the zip file I uploaded, you will find that only "exiftool(-k).exe" was created when I ran exiftool on my system.

I don't know if this is related to the problem, but little inconsistencies like this can sometimes be the key to finding a solution.

I can't look at the process log right now, but I will when I get a chance.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

kmmareek

Quote from: Phil Harvey on April 26, 2012, 11:09:59 AM
I'm just confused because this is not what I observed.  In the zip file I uploaded, you will find that only "exiftool(-k).exe" was created when I ran exiftool on my system.

Yes, exiftol.exe(small) itself creates.

In exiftool.exe(small) is:

package main;

require PAR;
unshift @INC, \&PAR::find_par;
PAR->import(@par_args);

die qq(par.pl: Can't open perl script "$progname": No such file or directory\n)
    unless -e $progname;

It looks similar to our problem...

Phil Harvey

Interesting.  Is this exactly the code that generates the error?  ie) Does it print out "par.pl:" at the start of the message?

If so, then we just need to figure out why $progname is "-e" instead of what it should be.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

kmmareek

exiftool.exe under cmd:

c:\exiftool>exiftool
Can't open perl script "-e": No such file or directory

rmarhi

FWIW I just recently had this same error message on Windows10. While troubleshooting another application that had stopped working I came across this issue - 'NUL file missing in windows'. I was led to a page to set the defaults for Null Service in Windows 10 <http://servicedefaults.com/10/null/> and this service reset/restart resolved the exif error.

Phil Harvey