Is there a problem with 'Export/Import Metadata'

Started by arthurb, February 21, 2011, 10:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arthurb

I was just using this to copy some common IPTC data from one Jpeg to several others, but I did not get the 'select metadata' panel either on the export or import - GUI just executed the 'copy' to a MIE file and gave me a message saying '1 image file created' for the export, and '1 image file updated' for the import.  As far as I can see nothing was updated in the target file, which is just as well as I only wanted some of the IPTC data. 

I have just checked and I was using 'import into selected files' for the above scenario, but when using 'import into single file' I do get the metadata selection panel.

Have I totally misunderstood how this export/import function works, or is there a bit of a problem here?  As I said, I did not actually get the target file/s updated at all.

BogdanH

Hi arthurb,

Did your read (this: https://exiftool.org/gui/) manual? Well, even if you did, I agree that explanation there isn't the best (I'll correct that later). And.. I too, don't like to read manuals  :)
Here we go:

Import metadata into single file:
Here, you can copy metadata from any single imagefile (jpg, tif, raw, etc.) into any single imagefile. And when doing this, you can decide to copy all of metadata from source file, or only some sections (Exif,Iptc,..). Metadata that isn't copied from source file (i.e. you choosed not to copy Exif), remains unchanged in destination file.

Import metadata into selected>JPG file(s)/TIF file(s):
This menu needs to be changed to "Import ALL metadata into..." (will happen in next update).
Now, in first place, this option is ment for copying all metadata from multiple files into multiple files.
Before you choose menu, you select one or multiple JPG (or TIFF) file -this is/are destination file(s). Now you select the menu and, no matter how meny destination files you've selected previously, you'll be asked to choose only one source file. What happens now:
1. If you selected only one JPG or TIF destination file (before executing menu):
All metadata from source file will be copied into destination file. And while destination file can only be JPG or TIF, source can be any kind of imagefile (raw, etc.). To put it simple: it's just copying all metadata from any kind of file into JPG (or TIF) file.
2. If you selected multiple JPG or TIF destination files (before executing menu):
Now, you remember by picking only one source file... in this case, you actualy didn't choose source file, but extension(!) of source files and folder where source files are. After executing, Exiftool only compares source/destination filenames -and where filenames match, metadata is copied. To put it simple: it's just copying all metadata between files which have equal filename (but can have different extension).

I hope this helps a bit -my English grammar has hit the limit  :)

Bogdan