Can't locate PAR.pm in @INC (@INC contains: .) at -e line 860.

Started by soma jones, April 12, 2011, 07:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soma jones

What does this mean? Why didn't I get this error previously? What can I do to avoid it?

"Can't locate PAR.pm in @INC (@INC contains: .) at -e line 860."

I apologize if this happens to be blatantly obvious or a topic that's been done to death but it's all so completely cryptic to me.
Thank you.

Phil Harvey

You're using the Windows exiftool.exe I assume.

My first response is to suspect a corrupted installation and recommend following these instructions to uninstall then reinstall exiftool.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

soma jones

I'm sorry, yes, windows 7 and I'm sure I should have been more clear from the start; I'm using Geosetter to try and add the longitude and latitude to my photos. I ran it yesterday on a few photos/gpx file I made for the express purpose of testing it all out and was successful. Nothing (that I know of) has changed in my system since then. I went out again today, shot a few more photos and saved another track (gpx). Geosetter can find the correct coordinates but then that error comes up when I try and save the file.
Thank you for the quick answer, I'm only moderately familiar with exif/metadata.

Phil Harvey

I would still suggest the uninstall/reinstall.  It is possible that Windows 7 (or Norton -- are you running Norton Antivirus?) messed with the temporary files that are unpacked the first time you run ExifTool.

- Phil

Edit:  This person had the same problem and I suggested the same thing, but he didn't post back again to say if it worked or not.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

soma jones

Again, thank you for the attention. I'm just a hobbyist and this is not a crucial aspect of my workflow, so if you have better things to spend your time upon I totally understand.
This is where I'm at; I tried the uninstall instructions you gave a link to but could not for the life of me find anything related to the file you referred to in my C: drive. I did delete the user:temp files (this is just off the top of my head) but then, since I'm fairly religious about making disc images I just went ahead and reverted to an earlier image prior to install either geosetter and your program.
After reinstalling geosetter and running it the FIRST time, it worked as expected BUT after an hour or so of doing other things (nothing that would change my system) and reopening geosetter, it would once again give me the aforementioned error info and not write to the file.
I once again reverted to the state prior to installing geosetter and (since I guess I have either masochistic or obsessive compulsive tendencies) I reinstalled geosetter and tested it once more; successfully.
Then just to tempt fate I closed everything and restarted my computer and...voila! for some reason it still worked. Darn it, I hate when things don't screw up consistently. That's even worse than when they don't work at all.
Anyhow...blah blah blah...if you're still with me and are interested, after I post this I'll fire up geosetter once more and see what happens.
And in fact, I'd be totally willing to just manually enter the gps data into the occasional file here and there if I knew just exactly how/where to do it.
Again thanks. Even if I don't get this working I totally dig that there are people like you out there doing this kind of stuff for us purely creative types.

soma jones

OK, here's the skinny; I reopened and reran geosetter and successfully wrote the new data to various files. I restarted my system and again reopened and ran geosetter and successfully wrote the data to various files. SO, as of the moment everything looks copacetic.
I forgot to answer your previous question; No, I never run anti virus software (Norton), all the way back to '99 I've always found it causes more trouble than it's worth.
Thanks again.

Phil Harvey

I hate mysteries like this, but at least we have ruled out Norton as being involved.

I have no way to reproduce this problem myself, so any further information you can provide would be very useful.  Please let me know if you discover anything else.  It would be good to be able to either reproduce the problem, or a way to prevent it somehow.

Thanks.

- Phil

soma jones

It's still working correctly now after restoring the earlier disc image and reinstalling. Sorry I can't provide any more clues to what was going on but again, thanks, sincerely.

jester13rok

I also received this error, just for info, I'm running a fairly new Windows 7 installation.  I will go ahead and install activeperl since that seems the best option.  I did a quick google search for this, seems like fun with perl packaging :P

Anyways I got the error running this command:
exiftool "-FileName<CreateDate" -d "%Y%m%d_%H%M%S.%%e" <myDirForProcessing>

Hope that helps...great tool BTW save me some time rather than writing java and using a EXIF lib to extract.

J

Mr_K

Hi,

I think that's a problem with Exiftool.exe unter Wine (Linux) / Crossover.
Check this link where I reported this Bug/Topic to Geosetter-Maintainer Friedemann Schmidt:

http://www.geosetter.de/mantis/view.php?id=844
https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=5875;forum=1;msg=106825

@Phil Harvey:  Any clue why the EXE-Version behaves different compared to the PERL-Version, which is working under Wine?
Please fix the EXE-Version, if possible  :-\

THX Mr.K

Phil Harvey

Quote from: Mr_K on June 30, 2011, 04:37:12 PM
I think that's a problem with Exiftool.exe unter Wine (Linux) / Crossover.

Interesting, but this problem isn't isolated to Wine because I believe straight Windows 7 users had this problem too.

Technically this is a PAR bug, not an ExifTool bug.  (The EXE version is just a PAR package of exiftool, Perl and the necessary libraries.)

Next week when I'm back on a fast internet connection I'll do some searching to see if any other PAR packages have this problem.  Hopefully somebody already has a solution.

- Phil

Mr_K

THX for answering that quickly...
I already thought that this "PAR-Bug" isn't easy to fix.
I'll check if someone already solved this problem regarding WINE and PAR next week, too...

- Mr. K

Mr_K

I've written a "Wrapper" to use your PERL-Version instead the EXE-Version (PAR package).
And guess what... it work's (partly)

Anyhow, it would be great if you could solve the PAR-package problem!
(This small workaround is not really nice  :D

Phil Harvey

I took a look and there are a few people having this problem with other PAR applications, but I didn't find a solution.

However, PAR is now up to version 1.002, so maybe upgrading is worth a try.  I will look into this.

- Phil

AlastairS

Just to let you know I too got this problem with the latest version when installed on Win7 (64-bit).  However I then tried the GUI version and using the ExifTool direct button I could enter commands without a problem.  So now I can easily fix thousands of pix taken on three different camera from a recent family safari  :)

Edit: This thread has just gone to 2 pages, please don't miss my response on page 2 - PH.

Phil Harvey

Thanks for reminding me about this.  I was going to try updating to PAR 1.002.

Here is the Windows version of ExifTool 8.68 packaged using PAR 1.002

Please try this version and let me know if it fixes the problem.

- Phil

Mr_K

I've just checked your attached version.
It's not working either - Sorry...
:(

- Mr_K

Is there another PAR-Version out?

Phil Harvey

The current PAR version is 1.005, but checking the ChangeLog I don't see anything that looks like it would fix this problem.

- Phil

BlueWulf

Hi, should be the solution is very easy. Windows 7?
Did you copy exiftool.exe to Windows\system32 ? ???

Then the solution isto move the exe directly in the Windows folder like C:\Windows.

Than it works - of course exiftool find there everything needed.

BR Oliver

@By the way. Great Tool, Phil.

Mr_K

QuoteHi, should be the solution is very easy. Windows 7?
No, Linux (Wine)...

Sorry, but the latest exiftool version 8.85 is still not working.
Therefore I have to use my workaround to use GeoSetter...  :o

Phil Harvey

Note that there is another exiftool "wrapper" for Windows posted here.  It also allows you to run the Perl version of exiftool in Windows.

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but there are other good reasons to use this in Windows if you already have Perl installed.

- Phil

Mr_K

Hi Phil!

The developer of GeoSetter (Mr. Friedemann) accepted this error http://www.geosetter.de/mantis/view.php?id=844, but is still without an (update-secure) solution. :'(

But I think updating the PERL version OR/AND the EXE version should also be possible...
and with your a.m. wrapper in combination with the described windows-registry-Hack it could be a solution. Turing/ Setting this Hack on and off could be a switch between these two versions.  :P

Thank you so far for your great support! - Mr. K

rzust0o

Hi!

I've just had a same problem as described, with 8.98 windows 7 64b home premium, after clean system reinstall

and just as BlueWulf  wrote, my problem dissapeared after moving

\Windows\System32\exiftool.exe to \Windows\exiftool.exe

and that is great tool!! I truly appreciate Your's work and sharing it with Us!
thank You very much!!

btw. And many thanks for BlueWulf, for tests and solution, You've made my day! :)