Copying Nikon-Tags

Started by thow68, April 13, 2011, 08:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thow68

I am digitizing pictures using Vuescan and a Nikon Coolscan V. The results are .jpg, .tif or .dng. Since my analog-camera (Nikon F6) is able to record some data like date, time, exposure time, fnumber, etc. as well as the used lens, I would like to write these information into the scanned images. For exif-tags this is no problem, but especially for nikon:lensidnumber etc. it is not possible (e. q. exiftool -nikon:lensidnumber=51 pic.jpg) doesn't work because the destination files has no tag-group nikon.

Is there any way / work-around to write the Nikon tags into my scanned pictures?

Phil Harvey

The only way to write Nikon tags is to copy the entire MakerNote section from another image then modify what you want.  I don't recommend doing this because most tags would be incorrect and modifying the ones you want would be tedious.

Instead, I suggest writing EXIF:LensModel for the lens information.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).