News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Writing xptitle with wildcard file

Started by adrianR, June 10, 2011, 01:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adrianR

When I write to the xptitle tag with a wildcard file, there is a problem...

After the write, if I use exiftool to check the tags they are there, but when I look at a file from XP (right-click/properties/summary) the title is NOT set (?)

However, if I use an exiftool command with a complete file name, it works and the tag is there in both exiftool and the XP properties for that file.

I have tried it with the -m option and the behaviour is the same.

In addition, if I launch a sequence of exiftool commands with full filenames from a VB script (IMatch), it behaves the same as when I used the wild card. (This was actually what I was originally trying to do. The wildcard is an attempted work around.)

The problem command ...

P:\test>exiftool -verbose -overwrite_original_in_place -xptitle="test title" *.jpg
======== D11040806.jpg
Rewriting D11040806.jpg...
  Editing tags in: APP0 APP1 IFD0 JFIF
JPEG APP1 (11516 bytes):
  Rewriting IFD0
  ExifByteOrder = II
  Rewriting ExifIFD
  Rewriting MakerNoteOlympus
  Warning = [minor] Possibly incorrect maker notes offsets (fix by 388?)
  Rewriting InteropIFD
  Rewriting IFD0
JPEG DQT (195 bytes):
JPEG DHT (416 bytes):
JPEG SOF0:
JPEG SOS
Warning: [minor] Possibly incorrect maker notes offsets (fix by 388?) - D11040806.jpg
======== D11040807.jpg
   12 image files updated

This works for one file ...

P:\test>exiftool -verbose -overwrite_original_in_place -xptitle="test title" D11040806.jpg
======== D11040806.jpg
Rewriting D11040806.jpg...
  Editing tags in: APP0 APP1 IFD0 JFIF
JPEG APP1 (11420 bytes):
  Rewriting IFD0
  ExifByteOrder = II
  Rewriting ExifIFD
  Rewriting MakerNoteOlympus
  Warning = [minor] Possibly incorrect maker notes offsets (fix by -138?)
  Rewriting IFD0
JPEG DQT (65 bytes):
JPEG DQT (65 bytes):
JPEG SOF0:
JPEG DHT (29 bytes):
JPEG DHT (179 bytes):
JPEG DHT (29 bytes):
JPEG DHT (179 bytes):
JPEG SOS
Warning: [minor] Possibly incorrect maker notes offsets (fix by -138?) - D11040806.jpg
    1 image files updated

To list tags ...

P:\test>exiftool -xptitle -xpauthor *.jpg
======== D11040806.jpg
XP Title                        : test title
======== D11040807.jpg
XP Title                        : test title

Phil Harvey

ExifTool should behave the same operating on one or more images.  You should be able to verify that your image D11040806.jpg is identical with the two commands.  If you don't have a utility to do this comparison, you can mail the images to me (philharvey66 at gmail.com) and I will take a look.

Also note that Windows will ignore XPTitle if an EXIF ImageDescription exists (as mentioned in the EXIF tag name documentation).

- Phil

Edit:  Wait. The images used in those 2 commands are not identical to begin with (judging from your verbose output).  I am sure you are fooling yourself and I bet the difference is that ImageDescription exists in one of them.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

adrianR

Phil,

You are correct. When I use the following, it works:

exiftool -overwrite_original_in_place -imagedescription= -xptitle="test title" *.jpg

My script that launches a similar command also works with this fix.

Thanks for your help

Adrian