Main Menu

Google Map Problem

Started by HJW, June 14, 2011, 08:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HJW

When trying the new mapping feature with a set of vacation pictures that were tagged by GeoSetter I find they all display at a common but incorrect position. A mouse-over of the green marker shows the location to be at an even degree, all numbers following the decimal have been removed.
A pictured tagged by ExiftoolGUI displays at the correct location in GeoSetter but not in ExiftoolGUI.
Repeatable on both Win 7-64 and XP-32
Hal

Agree with OP above. Also I can only get the Map button to show by first selecting Various/Google Map which brings up Google Map centred on Maribor even though I have input my own location. I would prefer Google Map to come up centred on selected photo not Home place if possible.

BogdanH

To 32110:
Yes, when map is showing the first time (in GUI session), then it's centered "somewhere" (Maribor in this case). Now only the click on Home button is needed for jump to your predefined (home) location, or.. every click on Map>> button (below Custom view button) will show geo-position of the photo on the map (if file contains gps data).
I'm aware, that clicking on Map>> button for each (of many) photo isn't very user friendly... It can be done better, so each photo selection in filelist automatically updates map content -no problem for those who have hi-speed internet access. But I don't know how everything would behave on slow speed... I'll try to make "faster" as an option and then we will see.

To Hal:
Quotea set of vacation pictures that were tagged by GeoSetter I find they all display at a common but incorrect position.
You mean: ...tagged by GeoSetter, they show correctly inside GeoSetter, but not in GUI?
QuoteA pictured tagged by ExiftoolGUI displays at the correct location in GeoSetter but not in ExiftoolGUI.
Can you give coordinates example for such behaviour? -whole image file would be much better (the same for file where decimal places are missed).

Another thing I maybe didn't emphasized enough (even I don't know if that matter in this case): as mentioned in manual, for geotagging and viewing on map, GUI uses Exif GPS metadata only! -no XMP metadata.

Bogdan

Bogdan, thanks for reply. Have attached photo from Berlin that you can try.
Photo geotaged with GPicSync.

Further to my previous reply. The location of photos appears to be a Google Earth problem. When I drop my photo onto Google Earth the Lat/Lon co-ordinates are rounded to exact degrees with no decimals. But if I drop this photo (attached) it locates correctly.

Phil Harvey

Very odd.  One difference I see is that the 2nd image you posted (the one that works) is GPSVersionID 2.3.0.0, while the bad one is 2.2.0.0.  I wonder if this could be the difference when loaded in Google Earth.

Also, the GPSLatitude/LongitudeRef values are written incorrectly in both images.  There is an extra null byte that shouldn't be there.  This is unrelated to your problem, but it indicates that ExifTool did not write this GPS information.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil/Bogdan, First photo tagged with GPicSync second with GeoSetter both of which use ExifTool some how or other.

Sorry, My mistake both photos tagged with GPicSync

BogdanH

I have tried both photos. Here:
1st photo (Berlin -no doubt) is shown on map correctly: Berlin.
2nd photo (boat -I don't recognize the place) is shown near Hastings (south England) -is that the place?
In both cases coordinates (decimal) in Exif and on the map seems to be equal...

Bogdan

PS: I've zoomed the map and 2nd photo seems to have correct coordinates as well.

Yes 1st photo Berlin, 2nd Hastings. Attachment shows placement of the Berlin one that I get using ExifToolGUI. You will note that by hovering mouse over point the co-ordinates have been truncated with no decimal places.

HJW

This picture was taken in The Pinery Provincial Park (South of Grand Bend) but is shown East of London Ontario.  All decimal places are in the exif data but at location, as shown by the green marker, they are missing.  I have tried random pictures from thousands geotagged by GeoSetter with the same results, all display correctly in GeoSetter

BogdanH

I see what you mean... but that doesn't happen here -here, I can see decimal places in hover coordinate info.

Holly crap... I see now why this happens... Your PC regional settings: you're using "," as thousands separator and "." (=dot) as decimal separator, right? Here, in Europe, opposite is the case... and as it seems (my guess), Google checks your regional position (according to IP) and translates decimal sign from "." to "," (and vice versa).

I must do something about this, of course. It's getting very late here... I will be back tomorrow.

Bogdan

Bogdan - I am also in Europe, UK in fact but it is usual for us to use . as decimal and , as thousands seperator. Lets hope you are onto something but to bed first! :)

BogdanH

Just a quick report.. this decimal issue has nothing to do with GoogleMap. It is my compiler's "feature" which I need to correct.

Update: New GUI version (v4.12.1.0) is ready for download -geopositioning should now work as expected.

Thank you for guiding me toward solution.

Bogdan

Agreed - GPS items now working as described in latest release note. Very many thanks Bogdan, I'm pleased that you were able to spot your compiler's useful "feature" so quickly.