Storing new command for exiftool direct...

Started by vec44, June 21, 2011, 04:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vec44

Hi,

As I recently used Exiftool GUI to rename video files from LUMIX TZ7 (MOV) with the creation date/time included in the file itself, I wonder if it would be possible (and interesting) to store a line command like this one:

exiftool -ext mov -ext mp4 "-FileName<CreateDate" -d "%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M-%S.mp4"

as without the -ext mov parameter, Filename renaming using the item menu of ExifToolGUI doesn't work due to the non wrintable tags of the MOV type.

Moreover, with this param (-ext type), it would be possible to change only the files of this type as usually, in the storage folder of the SC card, you can have both JPG and MOV....

Any idea to do that?

BogdanH

First, don't use "exiftool" in command field -GUI calls ExifTool automatically!

I believe you can achive desired result by using following command in GUI:
-ext mov -ext mp4 "-FileName<CreateDate" -d "%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M-%S.mp4" *.*
-just make sure, that none file is selected inside GUI! I hope result is what you want (tryout first).

In general (for ExifTool direct): if you select any file(s) in directory, only those files you have selected will be processed. But if you deselect all files (none selected), then you must specify files (or file extension) in command line.
In above case, "all files in directory" is specified (*.*), but processing is limited to those with mov and mp4 extension.

And finally... ExifTool direct option is not ment to totally replace "pure" ExifTool usage (in Cmd-prompt window). The thing is, that some ExifTool commands exist, which simply can't be executed properly from GUI (redirecting output, for example). That is, "direct" option is ment for learning ExifTool commands and for modifying tags which aren't covered in GUI. So, for complex metadata manipulation, one simply can't avoid ExifTool pure usage.

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

Hi Bogdan,

But I thought the idea of saving exiftool direct commands would be useful.  Especially if you provided a couple of default example commands that might be useful.  The user could then add/delete new commands from the list of pre-defined commands (and hopefully give them meaningful names to help him remember what they do).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BogdanH

Hi Phil,

Quote from: Phil Harvey on June 22, 2011, 01:21:18 PM
But I thought the idea of saving exiftool direct commands would be useful...
How right you are! Some members here allready made comment/request about this "feature"... and I promised I will do something in this regard... and I didn't forget my promise... and I feel bad because nothing happened yet  :-[
But inbetween, GeoTagging was such a refreshing challenge for me... with bugs following... :)
Well, now it came from you... I can't hide anymore :)

Greetings,
Bogdan

Phil Harvey

Excellent!  And glad you found the forum since the web server for the ExifTool home page is down temporarily for maintenance.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BogdanH

Done: editing/saving predefined ExifTool commands is now possible  :)
Hard to say if that's what users wish... but it's usable, though.

Bogdan
PS: My ToDo list is blank right now  8)

Phil Harvey

Hi Bogdan,

Congratulations for clearing your to-do list!  (this is something I can only dream about...)

I looked at the documentation for the new feature, and it looks great -- just what I was thinking.

I am sure some of your users will find this a very useful addition.

- Phil

BogdanH

Thanks for compliments, Phil.
And about your to-do list is never empty: that's why I have "hooked" on ExifTool  ;)

Greetings,
Bogdan

Phil Harvey

Just for fun I counted the items in my ExifTool "to-do" list:

351 items to do
651 items done :)
--------------------
1002 items total

- Phil