News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Copy IPTC date created to EXIF date created batch

Started by scotisle, July 08, 2011, 03:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotisle

I have over 700 images from WWII. I manually input the creation date into IPTC but Photoshop won't let me change the EXIF date created. I'm not a command line guy but I successfully installed EXIFTool on my Mac. What's the syntax to copy the IPTC date created to all EXIF date fields? Is this even possible?

Thanks and please forgive the newbie,
Scotisle

BogdanH

Hi,
I'm not an expert, but I've tried this and it works here. You need to execute in three steps:

1. Create Exif:CreateDate tag with dummy value (must be done, otherwise step 2 won't work):
exiftool -n -Exif:CreateDate=0 *.jpg
-this will modify all jpg files in current directory.

2. step:
exiftool -n -Exif:CreateDate<iptc:DateCreated *.jpg
-now you should have only date part in Exif (which is invalid, because hours:min:sec is required by Exif standard).

3. step:
exiftool "-Exif:CreateDate<$Exif:CreateDate 00:00:00" *.jpg
-job done.

I'm not sure, but I believe on Mac, you must use single quotes instead of double quotes.

Bogdan

PS: It goes even in two steps:
1. step:
exiftool -n -Exif:CreateDate=0 *.jpg
-same as above.
2.step:
exiftool "-Exif:CreateDate<$Iptc:DateCreated 00:00:00" *.jpg
-job done :)

BogdanH

Hi again,
Yes, it goes even in one single step:

exiftool "-Exif:CreateDate<$Iptc:DateCreated 00:00:00"

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

Quote from: BogdanH on July 09, 2011, 04:42:49 AM
exiftool "-Exif:CreateDate<$Iptc:DateCreated 00:00:00"

That will do it.  To this command, add one or more file names and/or directory names to process the desired files

If you are in Windows, you can use ExifTool GUI to give you an easier-to-use interface.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).