Windows version (but not Linux) getting all tags from M4Vs

Started by Boogerhead, July 15, 2011, 08:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boogerhead

I tried scripting some exiftool on my Ubuntu laptop yesterday and got it working great. But the binaries for Windows don't seem to be getting all the same tags. I invariably got framerate for MP4s and MOVs on Linux but not on Windows. Same version of both.

I'm just trying to get -filename -VideoFrameRate for the files.

This isn't life and death -- I'm trying to get Perl updated on the Windows box so I can try again, and can (very very slowly) try to get the Ubuntu box to get the info over the network. But I'd like to know if I'm doing something wrong or stupid here.

Mike

Sample output from Windows binary:

[ExifTool]      ExifTool Version Number         : 8.60
[ExifTool]      Warning                         : End of processing at large ato
m (LargeFileSupport not enabled)
[System]        File Name                       : something.m4v
[System]        Directory                       : d:.
[System]        File Size                       : 2478 MB
[System]        File Modification Date/Time     : 2011:06:07 00:07:47-04:00
[System]        File Permissions                : rw-rw-rw-
[File]          File Type                       : MP4
[File]          MIME Type                       : video/mp4
[QuickTime]     Major Brand                     : MP4 v2 [ISO 14496-14]
[QuickTime]     Minor Version                   : 0.0.0
[QuickTime]     Compatible Brands               : mp42, isom, avc1

Phil Harvey

This is odd.  I would say that the LargeFileSupport is the problem, but that should be disabled by default for the Ubuntu version too.

Try adding the -v3 option and see where the Ubuntu version deviates from the Windows version in this output.

I don't have any really large MP4's to test here on my Windows system, but I'm guessing it may be a file size issue.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Boogerhead

Hrm, this is weird. MP4s/M4Vs I got from elsewhere seem to work, at least in Ubuntu.

I took the MP4s I actually care about, which were all converted through Handbrake, and I get nothing on Ubuntu, even when I copy the converted MP4s to the local Ubuntu drive and run Ubuntu's ExifTool. (ExifTool has the same problem with the Windows Perl libraries.)

So it seems likely Handbrake's doing something that ExifTool's not picking up, but I don't know what it is yet, independent of operating system and filesystem and possibly file size.

I did see where VLC *is* picking up the framerate, but there's also some weird numbers going on. Handbrake is supposed to be converting to 29.97 (to work with a Roku player) and something I converted last night shows as 29.970029. I know some of the ones that were having sync problems were showing as 29.976.

I'll keep kicking the tires on this as I come up with ideas. I guess next step would be to take a small video from a completely different and run Handbrake on it and see what happens.

Phil Harvey

Maybe I misunderstood your original post.  I thought you were saying that the exiftool output for the same MP4 was different in Ubuntu and Windows, but now it sounds more like there are specific MP4 files that don't give output in ExifTool on both systems.  If this is the case, send me a small sample if possible and I will take a look. (philharvey66 at gmail.com)

I have converted hundreds of MP4's with Handbrake on a Mac, and ExifTool works on all of my videos.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).