Exiftool shows that two files were updates when only one should have been

Started by mülli, August 07, 2011, 02:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mülli

Hello,

I have a strange issue more with XnView than with ExifTool which I described in the XnView-Newsgroup:
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=23584 (please read before going further)
When I copy one of the affected images to an empty folder and use ExifTool with "-File:Comment>IPTC:Caption-Abstract" -overwrite_original *.jpg", in the summary is shown that two images were updated, although only one was present in the folder. I have no idea whats wrong with the 4 images where it's impossible to write IPTC-Fields and I would be very happy if someone had an idea. I have linked an image where the problem is reproducable with the actual version of XnView. Copying the comment to IPTC with ExifTool seems to work fine, but I wonder why it shows me that two images were updated and if that has anything to do with the behaviour of XnView.

Best regards and thanks,
Christoph

BogdanH

Hi,

I've tried with your "bild080.jpg" file, posted on xnview forum, and everything seems to bi fine. However, if tag contains foreign characters (german umlauts), then -L options should be used, for example:
exiftool -L -overwite_original "-iptc:Caption-Abstract<file:Comment" bild080.jpg
-otherwise copyed value will be stripped at the place where 1st german umlaut is (ExifTool notifies you if that's the case).

Bogdan

mülli

Thak you for your feedback! I used ExifToolGUI for the operation, and if I use exiftool -L -overwite_original "-iptc:Caption-Abstract<file:Comment" bild080.jpg, i get the message that 2 files were updated and 1 file wasn't updated due to errors. The problem in XnView occured with images without umlauts, too, so I think that it has nothing to do. I don't understand that there were only problems with 4 of mostly 700 files and what's so special about them. The photos were from different cameras and the only modification I applied to them was adding an jpeg-comment with IrfanView.

Regards,
Christoph

BogdanH

Hi Christoph,

Quote from: mülli on August 07, 2011, 03:25:14 PM
...I used ExifToolGUI for the operation, and if I use exiftool -L -overwite_original "-iptc:Caption-Abstract<file:Comment" bild080.jpg, i get the message that 2 files were updated and 1 file wasn't updated due to errors....
You "forgot" to read GUI manual  :) Se here: https://exiftool.org/gui/#b_etdirect
That is, to enter your command in GUI, you only need to select file(s) and write:
-iptc:caption-abstract<file:comment
and press enter.

I don't know XnView and I don't use IrfanView (which I know), so I can't help on that. But in case ExifTool is used, your file seems to be fine.

Greetings,
Bogdan