Stuck with id3 metadata problem...

Started by onthecrapper, September 25, 2011, 05:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onthecrapper

Hello, I'm having problems finding out the correct names for the metadata structure in id3/mp3s.  This probably won't make much sense, because I don't really know what I'm talking about, so let me give an example.

In a pdf, the key "dc:subject" is the correct name for the tag for the keywords I believe.  So, what is the equivalent "proper" name for the key responsible for the (e.g) album name in an mp3's id3 tag?  I saw something about 'TALB' on the exiftool id3 information page, but this doesn't seem to be working for what I'm trying to do. 

So, is there a list of the "correct" tag names for id3 (and, maybe, other formats too) anywhere? And, is there any way to get exiftool to list these proper internal tag ids?  (Possibly I have not RTFM correctly)

Sorry if these questions are stupid and make no sense,

Phil Harvey

If you are using ExifTool you don't need to know the "internal" tag names (called tag ID's in the ExifTool tag name documentation), you just use the external tag names when accessing information.

But if you are developing your own software to read ID3 tags, then you need to know the "internal" tag names.  In this case you should read the ID3 specification.  For this, visit http://www.id3.org/

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

onthecrapper

Thanks for the reply, exiftool is great software and has saved me loads of time.

Sadly, I have already visited the two sites/pages you mention to try and find a solution to my question.  I'm trying to get a software called Extensis Portfolio, (whose forums I would use, except they were down when I asked this question) to accept mp3 metadata.  Maybe I'll see if anyone knows over there now they're back up.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

:)