Main Menu

Inclusion of unknown fields

Started by G8DHE, December 07, 2011, 11:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G8DHE

Is it possible to configure the GUI to use the -u to display unknown fields at all ?

The reason being is that I and several others have the need to include two additional GPS fields to include Tilt (Pitch) and Roll information that is now available from some GPS units.  However the fields are not yet defined in EXIF so we are using the User defined fields feature in the .ExifTool_config to define the extra information;
Quote%Image::ExifTool::UserDefined = (
    'Image::ExifTool::GPS::Main' => {
        0xd000 => {
            Name => 'GPSTilt',
            Writable => 'rational64u',
            WriteGroup => 'IFD0',
        },
        # add more user-defined EXIF tags here...
   0xd001 => {
            Name => 'GPSRoll',
            Writable => 'rational64u',
            WriteGroup => 'IFD0',
        },
    },
);
and it would be nice to be able to use the GUI front-end as well, at present of course they don't appear :-(
Geoff - G8DHE
http://www.sphericalvisions.com/

Phil Harvey

Hi Geoff,

These should be defined in ExifTool GUI provided your exiftool config file is installed properly.  So I would think they should appear unless you are using the quick view feature.

But a -u option would useful for other reasons.  I don't know if it already exists somewhere in the GUI.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BogdanH

In GUI, only unknown tags of Makernotes section can be displayed:
Menu Expert>Maker: show Main unknown tags only -here -u option is used
Menu Expert>Maker: show All unknown tags only -here -U option is used
If one of above is selected, then [Maker] view will show values of unknown tags only.

Because Exif and Iptc are standardized, I suppose ExifTool knows about all tags there.. or can we expect surprises?

Bogdan
PS: In Quick view actual GPS data aren't displayed -there's only a line informing user if (at least basic) GPS data is present.
After reading OP more carefully... if new tag is properly defined in ExifTool (as shown in OP), then it's name and value will be automatically shown, if i.e.:
exiftool -exif:all ...
command is executed -am I right?

G8DHE

Hummm OK, not quite sure what's happening then, maybe the .ExifTool_config isn't quite right maybe, I seem to be able to write the parameters and view them at the command line OK without using the -u command but they don't appear to show up under the GUI here is a screen capture with a Cmd line window sitting on top of the GUI.
The config file is as follows, slightly different from earlier;
Quote%Image::ExifTool::UserDefined = (
        0xd000 => {
            Name => 'GPSTilt',
            Writable => 'rational64s',
            WriteGroup => 'GPS',
        },
        # add more user-defined EXIF tags here...
   0xd001 => {
            Name => 'GPSRoll',
            WriteGroup => 'GPS',
        },
    },
   'Image::ExifTool::Composite' => {
   BaseName => {
            Require => {
                0 => 'FileName',
            },
            # remove the extension from FileName
            ValueConv => 'my $name=$val[0]; $name=~s/\..*?$//; $name',
        },
        Extension => {
            Require => 'FileName',
            ValueConv => '$val=~/\.([^.]*)$/; $1',
        },
   },
);
1; # end
Geoff - G8DHE

G8DHE

Ah ha found the problem!  My fault :-)

I also use Geosetter and as that checks and installs the latest version of ExifTool automatically it seemed logical a while ago to make the shortcut on the desktop run ExifTools from the installation under Geosetter....... of course that isn't where I had originally installed ExifTool and where the .ExifTool_config file is located is it...... it will be now!

Thanks for the help so far!  I can see the next stage of loading the data direct from the logged data for the GPS unit might need some input from yourselves as I suspect that you won't be reading the;
Quote$GPRMC,133656.000,A,5049.6748,N,00022.9357,W,1.73,145.09,030811,,,E*76
$PTNTHPR,218.9,N,-7.9,N,-3.2,N,A*19
$GPGGA,133700.000,5049.6744,N,00022.9365,W,1,03,10.6,24.9,M,47.1,M,,0000*41
$PTNTHPR records.....
Geoff - G8DHE

BogdanH

Hi,
I'm glad you solved the problem. Now, according to image you've posted...
I there a reason you don't use latest ExifToolGUI?
And a small advice, if you don't mind: I think it's not a good idea to put ExifTool and ExifToolGUI into "Program Files" directory. This directory is ment for installed (OS registered) software -but ExifTool & GUI aren't installable. This doesn't make much difference on WindowsXP, but on Windows7 (64bit) you can expect unpredictable things will happen. For example.. did you noticed, that ExifToolGUI.ini (shown in your image) did not changed since March, 2010? In reality, this ini file changes everytime user exits GUI. Yes, because GUI is not "installed" application, OS doesn't allow writting into "Program Files" folder -so, ini file is being written somewhere else (meaning, ini file shown in your image, is useless).
And then, threre's a thing just happened to you: duplicate ExifTool versions...
I recommend to create separate directory, where you put in all "non-installable" programs, for example:
C:\MyTools\ExifToolGUI
-and put ExifToolGUI there.
In my opinion, for ExifTool, the best place is C:\Windows -if ExifTool is saved here only, then it will be (guaranteed) used by any software which calls ExifTool (and you'll avoid duplicates).

Bogdan

dgsjsj

Quote from: BogdanH on December 07, 2011, 03:41:34 PM
Hi,

I recommend to create separate directory, where you put in all "non-installable" programs, for example:
C:\MyTools\ExifToolGUI
-and put ExifToolGUI there.
In my opinion, for ExifTool, the best place is C:\Windows -if ExifTool is saved here only, then it will be (guaranteed) used by any software which calls ExifTool (and you'll avoid duplicates).

Bogdan
Bogdan, thanks for the update and rekosendatsii installation.
Good luck!  :)

Phil Harvey

Quote from: G8DHE on December 07, 2011, 03:06:21 PM
I suspect that you won't be reading the;
[...]
$PTNTHPR records.....

Right.  Pity that EXIF GPS doesn't support attitude information because if it did I'd be all over adding support for $PTNTHPR.  But as it is, I'm not sure what I can do.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

G8DHE

Hi Bogdan
Quote from: BogdanH on December 07, 2011, 03:41:34 PMI'm glad you solved the problem. Now, according to image you've posted...
And a small advice, if you don't mind:
So was I to solving the problem!  And no problem with the advice!
That's what actually gave the clue away, I suddenly realised that the versions didn't match up!  A while back I changed to a new Win7 x64 machine, but rather than transfer all the programs I put the old XP drive in the machine and I just linked to the relevant directories where it didn't make a difference hence the appearance of the folder name but it isn't anything to do with the installed OS (being lazy!), then I installed Geosetter, and have been making a lot of use of it, and this updates ExifTool automatically, it was then that I realised that the folder I was playing in was actually on D: drive and not Geosetter's under C:\Program Files (x86)\ so  that is when I tided that part of the machine up and it all started to work as expected!  So excellent work spotting the cause of the problem!
Geoff - G8DHE

G8DHE

Thanks Phil
Quote from: Phil Harvey on December 07, 2011, 06:48:26 PMRight.  Pity that EXIF GPS doesn't support attitude information because if it did I'd be all over adding support for $PTNTHPR.  But as it is, I'm not sure what I can do.
Do you know if there is a route for feeding into the EXIF Specification for mere Users ?  I've taken a look around the http://www.jeita.or.jp/english/ site and the http://www.cipa.jp/english/ sites but as expected the FAQ suggests
QuoteQ. Are consumers able to consult with you regarding cameras, including digital cameras?
    A. CIPA does not provide any consumer consultation service. Consumers are asked to use the consultation services provided by relevant manufacturer, or a consumer consultation center.
Which is pretty much as expected!
Geoff - G8DHE

BogdanH

Hi,
Quote from: G8DHE on December 11, 2011, 10:34:37 AM
Do you know if there is a route for feeding into the EXIF Specification for mere Users ?
For quick overview, there are many links at the top of ExifTool's main page:
http://www.exiftool.org/
-where one of them points to EXIF:
http://www.exiftool.org/TagNames/EXIF.html
and one of them to GPS:
http://www.exiftool.org/TagNames/GPS.html
tags description.

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

You should try sending CIPA your suggestion.  The quote you pasted indicates they don't want questions about digital cameras, but this isn't.  This is a feature request for an addition to the EXIF standard.

- Phil

Phil Harvey

Quote from: G8DHE on December 07, 2011, 03:06:21 PM
I can see the next stage of loading the data direct from the logged data for the GPS unit might need some input from yourselves as I suspect that you won't be reading the;
Quote$GPRMC,133656.000,A,5049.6748,N,00022.9357,W,1.73,145.09,030811,,,E*76
$PTNTHPR,218.9,N,-7.9,N,-3.2,N,A*19
$GPGGA,133700.000,5049.6744,N,00022.9365,W,1,03,10.6,24.9,M,47.1,M,,0000*41
$PTNTHPR records.....

I have finally located the technical specifications for the PTNTHPR sentence, and ExifTool 8.75 will support this when it is released.  The way it will work is that ExifTool will attempt to write GPSPitch and GPSRoll tags, which of course do not exist because they are not part of the EXIF specification, so it will be up to the user to define their own as you have done, like this (note that I used "GPSPitch" instead of "GPSTilt" as you had before since to me "Tilt" is somewhat ambiguous):

%Image::ExifTool::UserDefined = (
        0xd000 => {
            Name => 'GPSPitch',
        },
        0xd001 => {
            Name => 'GPSRoll',
        },
    },
);
1; #end

(See the sample config file for instructions about how to use this config file.)

- Phil

Edit: I am now a bit confused about the PTNTHPR "heading" field.  The documentation I have is not clear about this.  I had thought this was a direction of travel, so it would be written to GPSTrack, but it appears this is not the case because it differs from the direction stored in the NMEA GPRMC sentence.  My best guess now is that this may represent GPSImgDirection.  If anyone has any ideas about this, please let me know.

G8DHE

Phil, Many thanks for implementing this, I haven't checked out the details yet having only just found this post !  But will be shortly :-)

Yes the PTNTHPR Direction information is the Compass heading data, which for a camera is also the direction of the center of image.  It differs as I understand it from the GPSTrack which is the direction of Travel, which does not have to be the same as the Compass direction- the Static direction the device is pointing in - Think of a vehicle travelling North say and a person pointing a camera out of a side window, there will be no correspondence between the two values at all.

I fully agree about Tilt and Pitch, Tilt does NOT specify the Plane of the rotation to me at all, whilst Pitch does.
Geoff - G8DHE

Phil Harvey

Great.  I guessed correctly then.  ExifTool writes the PTNTHPR direction to GPSImgDirection.

Also, just a few days ago version 8.77 was released, which solved a problem with this new feature.

- Phil