News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Write a list with all cameras in a folder

Started by JanK, December 28, 2011, 05:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JanK

A folder with many subfolders containing many different pictures of many different Camera Models.

How can I generate a list of the different cameras which are be found inside? I have to write out the different "Models" But there is another problem. In some situation I have to cameras of the same model. I can only differ them by the Firmware Date.

Is there a comand which can use the model and the firmware to write a list with all different cameras?
-Mac OSX Mountain Lion-

Phil Harvey

On Mac/Linux you can do something like this:

exiftool -model -firmwareversion -T -r DIR | sort -u

(where DIR is the name of the root directory containing the images)

But I'm not sure if Windows has a sort command or if it supports the -u option.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

j

Windows does have a sort command.  It does not have a -u switch, or an equivalent.

There are a number of solutions to this.  The fastest for occasional use might be to download a third-party editor that supports unique sorting.  TextPad is the one I use, available at textpad.com.  There are probably others.

If you have Excel, you can use that.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/262277.

Searching for "windows unique sort" will also provide some solutions.

Phil Harvey

j: Thanks.  Good suggestions.

But I just noticed JanK's signature (and I also just noticed that signatures don't show up in the summary text when replying to a post, which is my excuse why I missed this): "-Mac OSX Lion-".  So we are in luck. :)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

JanK

Yeah works great!
Yeah I'm on Mac only. Never change back!

I suggest everyone to force all the people on a party to make one picture from a digital clock with hours, minutes and seconds. That make it easy to synchronize all the pictures later.

I have a marriage with pictures of 12 different cameras. You have to notice that there are different cameras also when you get one folder from a person. This person took pictures with two different cameras, put all in one folder, renamed it with 001... and gave it to me. One person shoot with two different cameras which are from the same model. I only can differ it by the Firmware Date. But first you have to know that there are TWO cameras. And all the 12 cameras have wrong/different time set. It's horrible.

I have to put pictures from one model in a separate folder. Then I have to search for pictures of different cameras which represent the same time. With that I can sync the time of the pictures and bring all the pictures in one chronological list in one folder renamed by "0001_Text..."

No I found out that there was another camera in some folder. Horrible! But whit this command I'm sure which different cameras there are. Thanks.

I use -*firmware* because some models write it in different way. But the most include the word firmware.
-Mac OSX Mountain Lion-