General > Metadata

Post your LensType / LensID discoveries here

(1/48) > >>

Phil Harvey:
I thought it would be good to have a thread for collecting information about new lenses.

Please reply to this post with the following information if ExifTool doesn't properly identify your lens:

1) The LensType and/or LensID values extracted by ExifTool.

2) The camera make (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Pentax, etc).

3) The exact lens model name as given by the lens Manufacturer.

I don't have the resources to obtain image samples for all available lenses, so the ExifTool lens identification is only possible with the help of users like you.  And since I make this information public, many other applications base their lens identification on ExifTool's documented lens ID's, so not only ExifTool users will benefit from the discoveries made here.

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far (and there are many)!

- Phil

Alan Clifford:
Hi Phil, not a new lens but I think there is a small error.

Exiftool reports "AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED [II]" but I think the "II" refers to the second version of this lens that has a zoom lock.

The manual for my lens names it "AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IF-ED" (the same as on the box) whilst the manual for the new lens has "AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II"

More info from exiftool from my lens:

--- Code: ---Lens Type                       : G VR
Lens                            : 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
Lens F Stops                    : 5.33
Lens Data Version               : 0204
Lens ID Number                  : 139
Lens F Stops                    : 5.33
Lens ID                         : AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED [II]
Lens                            : 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR

--- End code ---

Alan

Phil Harvey:
Hi Alan,

Thanks, but unfortunately both versions of this lens have the same ID.  In my notation, this is indicated by putting the "II" in square brackets, but I admit that this isn't obvious.

- Phil

rsjaffe:
Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 SP Di LD [IF] macro (Sony): 28

Phil Harvey:
Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version