Post your LensType / LensID discoveries here

Started by Phil Harvey, January 08, 2012, 08:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Harvey

I thought it would be good to have a thread for collecting information about new lenses.

Please reply to this post with the following information if ExifTool doesn't properly identify your lens:

1) The LensType and/or LensID values extracted by ExifTool.

2) The camera make (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Pentax, etc).

3) The exact lens model name as given by the lens Manufacturer.

I don't have the resources to obtain image samples for all available lenses, so the ExifTool lens identification is only possible with the help of users like you.  And since I make this information public, many other applications base their lens identification on ExifTool's documented lens ID's, so not only ExifTool users will benefit from the discoveries made here.

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far (and there are many)!

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Alan Clifford

Hi Phil, not a new lens but I think there is a small error.

Exiftool reports "AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED [II]" but I think the "II" refers to the second version of this lens that has a zoom lock.

The manual for my lens names it "AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IF-ED" (the same as on the box) whilst the manual for the new lens has "AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II"

More info from exiftool from my lens:

Lens Type                       : G VR
Lens                            : 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
Lens F Stops                    : 5.33
Lens Data Version               : 0204
Lens ID Number                  : 139
Lens F Stops                    : 5.33
Lens ID                         : AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED [II]
Lens                            : 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR

Alan

Phil Harvey

Hi Alan,

Thanks, but unfortunately both versions of this lens have the same ID.  In my notation, this is indicated by putting the "II" in square brackets, but I admit that this isn't obvious.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

rsjaffe

Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 SP Di LD [IF] macro (Sony): 28

Phil Harvey

kennedmh

Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM (Sony): 128

and

Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM (Sony):128

Phil Harvey

Wow, this is great!  I should have thought of starting this thread earlier. :)

- Phil

Edit: I see the activity is due to a post in the Dyxum forum.  Thanks rsjaffe for doing this.

gregglee

These are the ones I reported in a separate thread.  Sigma is a bit inconsistent on names for example whether they include all their designators in the name.  "IF" comes and goes for example.  This is my best shot.       

Sony
Sigma 180 F3.5 EX DG APO macro

Sony
Sigma 17-35 F2.8-4 EX Aspherical

gregglee

In addition I was checking lens - TC combinations.  I need to double check an apparent code duplication, but in the mean time I noticed that the Minolta 0x0105    Teleconverter tags omit the original "APO" versions, while the Sony tags includes them.   

This may or may not be the reason that exiftool reports the 0x60 = Minolta AF 2x APO and 0xa0 = Minolta AF 1.4x APO as unknown.  (It does correctly name the 0x90 = Minolta AF 1.4x APO II, which is the only other one I own.)

Phil Harvey

Excellent, thanks.  I'll fix the Teleconverter tags to use the same lookup.

- Phil

gregglee

lens id     Camera        lens name 

25791   Sony and Minolta  Minolta 20mm F2.8 new

Note: the current 25791 says "Minolta/Sony AF 20mm F2.8 or Tokina Lens." This could be read to include all three versions:  Minolta-new (mine, model 2641), Minolta-original (model 2579) and Sony model (SAL20F28).  Since the Minota original model number is 2579, Minolta once used model numbers to start lens ids, and Minolta-Sony often retains the same lens id when updated versions are cosmetic only, this seems likely to be correct. 

But these is a separate exiftool listing for "26411 = Minolta/Sony AF 20mm F2.8 New".  Based on my Minolta New version this is not correct.  Also there are no lenses designated Sony+New, only Minolta+New.
======================================
25   Sony and Minolta     Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC
Note: current listing:  25.4 = Sigma 30mm F1.4 DG EX is incorrect.  There is no DG version of this lens.  Probably just a typo.
=====================================
25611  Sony and Minolta   Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 APO DG macro
Note successor to lens 25611.2 already listed
25631  Sony and Minolta   Sigma AF 170-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG   
Note successor to lens 25631.2 already listed

Phil Harvey

Thanks for your comments.

QuoteBut these is a separate exiftool listing for "26411 = Minolta/Sony AF 20mm F2.8 New".  Based on my Minolta New version this is not correct.

It sounds like you are telling me that your Minolta AF 20mm F2.8 New gives LensType number 25791?  If so, I suppose that it may be possible that Minolta changed the model number partway through the production.

QuoteAlso there are no lenses designated Sony+New, only Minolta+New.

Right.  But how to indicate this in a convenient way?

QuoteNote: current listing:  25.4 = Sigma 30mm F1.4 DG EX is incorrect.  There is no DG version of this lens.  Probably just a typo.

I'll check my reference on this tomorrow.

Quote25611  Sony and Minolta   Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 APO DG macro
Note successor to lens 25611.2 already listed
25631  Sony and Minolta   Sigma AF 170-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG   
Note successor to lens 25631.2 already listed

Are you saying that 25611.4 and 25631.2 are the same lens?  Could well be.  Sigma has often changed the LensType number for the same model.  Otherwise, I don't understand what you are trying to tell me.

- Phil

Zwielicht

On a Canon 450D:
LensID: 137
LensType: "Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L or Sigma or Tamron Lens"
Name: Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

gregglee

Quote from: Phil Harvey on January 22, 2012, 01:47:35 PM
It sounds like you are telling me that your Minolta AF 20mm F2.8 New gives LensType number 25791?
yes mine is definitely New version with id 25791

QuoteIf so, I suppose that it may be possible that Minolta changed the model number partway through the production.
Or, just speculating, that the 26411 listing could be incorrect.     

QuoteRight.  But how to indicate this in a convenient way?
I mentioned this only to indicate that there was an additional inconsistency with the listing.   But an alternative would be "26411 = Minolta New/Sony AF 20mm F2.8.   

gregglee

Quote from: Phil Harvey on January 22, 2012, 01:47:35 PM
Are you saying that 25611.4 and 25631.2 are the same lens?  Could well be.  Sigma has often changed the LensType number for the same model.  Otherwise, I don't understand what you are trying to tell me.
- Phil
I was trying to say that I have a successor version to the Sigma 70-300 to the one listed in exiftool under the same 25611 id as this lens, and a successor version of the Sigma AF 170-500mm to the one listed in exiftool under the same 25631 id for that lens.  So I was just confirming that Sigma continued to use the same ids on my non-listed versions as for the listed earlier versions.

I realize you can't list every similar version with the same id.  I count 5 versions of the Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 macro prior to new OS version.       

I didn't even notice the separate issue that you noted:

25631.2   = Sigma AF 170-500mm F5-6.3 APO Aspherical and
25611.4   = Sigma AF 170-500mm F5-6.3 APO Aspherical are identical descriptions.

I can't help there, except to note again that my version of the 170-500,  the Sigma AF 170-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG, read as 25631.