News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

About GUI 5.0

Started by erio, January 27, 2012, 10:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erio

Hi,

I am trying on the new GUI 5.0 and have the following problems.

- Everything changed, the new GUI.  The "DEF" button is missing and I rely on it very often.  Would it be a button to have an "one-click" predefined meta values?  Now I have to right click and "Fill-in...".

- The predefines, when I click "Fill in..." only the "artist" tag was filled.  I predefined "Maker", "Model" and "Copyright", none of them were filled.

- The "^" under "EXIF/XMP" were gone, the only way to modify tags is to use the box at bottom corner.   Um...

- Is there any way to show the EXIFTOOL syntax at status bar for reference? (an option to show or hide for different user's habit)

Great job for all of you, this tool makes me happy with my old film photos.  :-*

Erio

erio

Oops.... One more things.

Is there any way for me to add tags in all the photos within sub-folder?  For everytime I add tags I have to go into the folder.  Any recursive method?

BogdanH

Hi Erio,

I somehow believe, you didn't read GUI manual, or I wasn't clear there...
"^" buttons (and thus DEF as well) are gone, because they aren't needed anymore. In old GUI, "^" panels only allowed to edit those tag, which I thought someone might need to edit. That is, user was dependant on my "grace" which tag will be available there. I could add some additional tag in "^Exif" panel, because Exif doesn't contain that much tags ment to be edited by user. And even then, this would happen only IF users would ask me to do that and IF I would agree with idea... Anyway, the problem was (or, would become) with "^Xmp" panel, because number of Xmp metadata tags is huge and will grow in future (I believe). Now, which of those tags are important enough to be present in "^Xmp" panel? In new GUIv5, you define which tags you wish to edit regulary (menu: Program>QuickView manager).

Yes, now "additional" right-click is needed for "Fill in"... but you don't have to click on "^" button  ;)

"Fill in" will work for all tags in Quick view, if defined (by you) that way in QuickView manager (see https://exiftool.org/gui/#m_program).

The only way to modify tags being at bottom corner... We may disagree, but I think, this makes workflow faster (which was the main reason why I did this that way).

Is there any way to show the EXIFTOOL syntax at status bar for reference? (an option to show or hide for different user's habit)
You mean for ExifTool direct mode? Can you give an example of what you'd like to see? Becase, while ExifTool syntax is quite simple (I think), usually the problem is the amount of possible commands combinations...

Is there any way for me to add tags in all the photos within sub-folder? ...
Recursive editing is only possible in ExifTool direct mode. I will (again) rethink about adding this for Quick editing. The problem I see is, that, while in ExifTool direct mode one must type "recursive" command (and thus knows exactly what will happen next), that's not the case in "comfortable" Quick mode. Result? It can (and does!) happen, that files in subfolders become changed when not wanted -and user doesn't even notice what happened.

Bogdan

erio

Wow~! Appreciate for your quick response!  :-*

Yes, I haven't read all topics on the manual as I only use very finite features on it.  v5.0 is very new to me so I need some time to change my habit!  May be I have to make good use of the presets, to replace my habit in using "^" and "DEF".

I use the "QV manager" to make some default of all my photos, including "Artist", "Model" and etc.  But only "Artist" will be loaded into the file, except "Artist", none of the other fields will turn yellow (alerted).  I checked with the ini file:

Artist*=-exif:Artist^Blah blah blah
Copyright=-exif:Copyright^Blah blah blah

Seems nothing wrong...

For the syntax, what I mean is, say if I change the "MODEL" from "AAA" to "BBB", before I press "SAVE" button to really write into the file, the syntax for the changes will be shown in the status bar or somewhere else.  That would be less-tidy for this simple GUI tools, just my opinion.

Recursive mode is nice, and I know that is available in command-line mode, hope it will be available on GUI soon.

BogdanH

Hi,

Open QuickView manager and select your copyright line. By doing this, all three edit fields below will become populated with existing values. Now, in Tag name to display field, add asterisk to the end of the name, so it will become Copyright* and click on Save changes and finally click Save on the bottom-right side.

About "syntax" for editing in Quick view (you should read manual, you know :) ). In short, you define what will appear on status bar: in QuickView manager, the third field Hint text serves that purpose.

Bogdan

erio

Ar ha~ "Copyright*", now it works!  :D

Thanks Bogdan!  You are  a good man!  :-* :-*

BogdanH

I'm glad you solved this. And as you probably know by now, you can do the same with camera Make, Model, etc. -for all tags, where you wish to enter constant values regulary.

Bogdan

Wolf Kribben

Hi Bogdan,

first of all congratulations on the new ExifTool Gui release.

Today I tried to use it, but I stumbled across 2 items.
I seriously miss the function to embed the ICC-profile like in version 4.23 (from 4.24 to 4.27 this feature didn't work...). Seriously due to the fact that otherwise I've to open the file, assign the ICC-profile and save and therefore compress it again. This results in a loss of quality because the image doesn't remain completely unchanged. I'm working with a FujiFilm S5 pro JPG ooC and normally the images don't need any postprocessing at all and therefore no opening...

The second item I miss is the default button for author and copyright. Despite the discussion above which offers a solution in general  it's more simple to use this button if someone has to change author and copyright frequently.

I would appreciate it if the two features could be reactivated soon. If it is not possible I will remain at version 4.23 which works to my entire satisfaction.

Thank you very much in advance
Best regards
Wolf

BogdanH

Hi Wolf,

This is the first time I hear importing ICC doesn't work since v4.25. I've just checked and indeed, there is a small (but fatal) bug I wasn't aware of. Because I don't use this, and nobody reported that...
Anyway, I have corrected this issue in GUI v4.27 (has thus become v4.27.1), which you can get here.
However, it is so simple to do that in ExifTool direct, ie. if your "My.icc" file is in "D\ICCfiles" folder, you type:
"-icc_profile<=D:\ICCfiles\My.icc"
.. set name for it in Command name (ie. Import myICC), click on Add new and that's it. Now, whenever you need to import ICC, select desired files and chose Import myICC. That's why ExifTool direct exist: to make your custom commands.

As far I know, importing ICC (or any metadata changes) with ExifTool, never alters (recompress) image data -it must be something else.

About Default button for Author and Copyright missing... You must believe me, that I'm trying to make GUI as much easy for use as possible... and even more important: as much flexible as possible. As it is now in GUIv5, I somehow can't understand why you find selecting Fill in default values in PopUp menu "less" simple?
Now, why I decided to change all this at all? Because someone asked, he would also like to have his "contact" address (eMail, etc.) in "Def" as well. And as it was, he needs to wait until I have time to do that (if ever)... -you can recognize similarity with ICC issue, I would say.
With GUIv5, many metadata related things have become customizable by user, so user would be less dependant on what I will do and when it will be done -that was the basic idea. It's not that I'm trying to convince you into anything... but I still believe GUIv5 is by a great margin better than previous versions.
And if you change your mind about GUIv5, I'm always ready to help.

Bogdan