Main Menu

running efiftool

Started by rwells1938, February 09, 2012, 12:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwells1938

I am trying to learn how to use the tool and am using terminal mode on a mac with lion

I key this into the terminal window then press the return key

exiftool -use MWG -enveloperecordversion=4 -City="Lexington" -Copyright="Roger W. Wells" -Country="United States" -Creator="Roger W. Wells" -Description="Roger Wayne Wells (W1)" -Keywords="Genealogy" -Location="3316 Mathern Trail" -Orientation="1" -Rating=1 -State="Kentucky" /Users/rogerwells/Desktop/MetadataProject/ATT2.jpg

I get this back:

Last login: Thu Feb  9 12:27:00 on ttys000
Rogers-iMac:~ rogerwells$ exiftool -use MWG -enveloperecordversion=4 -City="Lexington" -Copyright="Roger W. Wells" -Country="United States" -Creator="Roger W. Wells" -Description="Roger Wayne Wells (W1)" -Keywords="Genealogy" -Location="3316 Mathern Trail" -Orientation="1" -Rating=1 -State="Kentucky" /Users/rogerwells/Desktop/MetadataProject/ATT2.jpg
>

I was expecting it to make a duplicate of ATT2.jpg and then change ATT2.jpg but nothing happens except I get back the above back so I must be doing something wrong.

If I key in exiftool  /Users/rogerwells/Desktop/MetadataProject/ATT2.jpg and press the return key I get back the list of the metadata information like I expect.

Hopefully someone can set me straight.

Thanks
Rogerf

Phil Harvey

Hi Rogerf,

Everything looks good except for the funny quotes in your post.

Try copying and pasting this into your terminal window:

exiftool -use MWG -enveloperecordversion=4 -City="Lexington" -Copyright="Roger W. Wells" -Country="United States" -Creator="Roger W. Wells" -Description="Roger Wayne Wells (W1)" -Keywords="Genealogy" -Location="3316 Mathern Trail" -Orientation="1" -Rating=1 -State="Kentucky" /Users/rogerwells/Desktop/MetadataProject/ATT2.jpg

(click "[select]" above, then copy and paste into Terminal)

If this doesn't work, try a simple "exiftool -ver" and tell me what happens.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

rwells1938

Your right it is the funny quotes.

Thanks I will return I am sure with other questions.

Roger