first help - writing to IPTC fileds from a text file

Started by ETfan, February 21, 2012, 03:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ETfan

Hello,
I am new to EXIFTOOL. I have installed EXIFTOOL, have worked with the GUI and all is really looking very nice.
I am not a comp expert and a lot of things are really difficult to understand (going into detail).

What I would like to to is the following:

I´d like to write information into IPTC fields, lets say some tags. My idea is to create a txt file with tags, then tell EXIFTOOL to read the tags from that txt file and put the tags into each selected picture  into the keyfiles field.

Could any kind soul help me, please? Best would be an example.

ETfan

BogdanH

Hi,

QuoteI´d like to write information into IPTC fields, lets say some tags. My idea is to create a txt file with tags, then tell EXIFTOOL to read the tags from that txt file and put the tags into each selected picture  into the keyfiles field.
I assume, you would like to use GUI for that. If that's the case, then there are following options:

1. Universal solution: https://exiftool.org/gui/#p_etdirect and pay attention on sub-chapter Using args files. This solution is recommended if you would like to write into many tags.

2. If you only would like to set few tag values, then you can do that  by creating predefined command in ExifTool direct and using it anytime later (see link above).

Bogdan

ETfan

Hello,
thank you so much ! It is working.
I am still running into some issue, though.

I can write IPTC tags from a txt file.
If I take a look into EXIFTOOL, my tags (separated with a blank) all looks fine.
If I use IrfanView to check my tags, my tags look fine.

Now, if I am using the FlickR uploading help program, before I upload my tag are seen in "" and if I upload to my FlickR account, my tags from the txt file are seen as one tag, not as seperat tags.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Thanks for any suport!!!!

Phil Harvey

Are you talking about the IPTC Keywords?  If so, reading FAQ number 17 may help.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).