Main Menu

ExifTool 8.5 v 8.80

Started by machouinard, February 27, 2012, 02:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

machouinard

Just found ExifTool and it's just what I was looking for.  More, actually.  All of my work is done with PHP on a shared hosting account with Hostgator.  I see via Cpanel that they have version 8.5 installed.  As per my need for the latest and greatest of everything I clicked the upgrade button only to be told there was a problem and it could not complete the update.  Before I contact someone at tech support I'd like to know what the benefits to using 8.80 would be.  What would I be missing out on?  Anything PHP related?  Just want to sound like I know what I'm talking about ;-)

Thanks much,
Mark

BogdanH

Hi Mark,

Until Phil comes by.. check for changes here: http://www.exiftool.org/history.html
List of changes is quite long and only Phil can tell what changes are "essential". Btw. v8.50 is exactly one year "old"  :)

Bogdan

machouinard

Thanks Bogdan, that really helps.

Man, that's a ton of upgrades in a year.  Nice work, Phil!

Phil Harvey

Thanks Bogdan,

There was a -php option added to version 8.75 that may be of interest for PHP-type people.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

machouinard

I noticed that, Phil.  Does using -php have any advantages over using -j and then json_decode?  It's only been a few hours, but that seems to work just fine for me.

I'm excited to try out the Geotag features.  I had no idea ExifTool could do so much more than simply read EXIF data.

Again, great work & thank you!

Mark 

Phil Harvey

Hi Mark,

The PHP technique may be a touch quicker, but I don't have any evidence to back this up.  The disadvantage of the PHP technique is that you must evaluate the PHP code to return the array of values, which some people seem not to like for security reasons.

- Phil

Edit:  I forgot an advantage of -php -- it can return binary data (ie. thumbnail images), while the JSON format doesn't support this.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).