Error occurs on -geotag of some RAF files (X-Pro1)

Started by Kousuke, February 29, 2012, 10:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kousuke

Hi,
I'm trying to geotag RAF file of FUJIFILM X-Pro1 using "-geotag", but errors occur in some RAF files but not all RAFs. Some RAFs are correctly updated, the others are not updated.
Error message is "Error: Non-null bytes found in padding."
What's wrong?

(Mac OS 10.7, Ver. 8.80)

Thanks
Kousuke

Phil Harvey

Hi Kousuke,

Thanks for this report.

There may be padding in RAF images between the sections of the file.  ExifTool checks to see if all of the padding is zero as a sanity check to be sure that there isn't some real data hiding somewhere that ExifTool doesn't know about.

If you could send me one of the RAF images that gives this problem, I will take a look and should be able to fix this problem for you in the next release.  My email is philharvey66 at gmail.com

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Kousuke

Thank you for your reply.
I've just sent email to grab the RAF images.

Thanks
Kousuke

Phil Harvey

Thanks.

I got the RAF images now, and have taken a look.  As far as I can tell, the non-null bytes in the normally-empty section of the RAF image aren't referenced from anywhere, so I'm thinking that they are just garbage data.  I'll update the next version of ExifTool to make this a minor error, allowing the file to be written with the -m option.  I only have one utility that handles this type of RAF image (dcraw), and it doesn't have a problem when exiftool edits this image and removes the "garbage" data, however you should test this with your utilities to see if there is any problem.  I'll release the new version of ExifTool next weekend (in 4 days) for you to test this out.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Kousuke

Thank you very much for checking the images and releasing the new version.
I'll attempt to test -m option with the new version.

First, I thought this error was caused by X-Pro1 when X-Pro1 was writing image data, so I asked FUJIFILM support. FUJI confirmed no error occurs on writing.

I don't know how to write data in the camera in detail. Is there any example or possible that camera writes "garbage" data?

Kousuke

Phil Harvey

Hi Kousuke,

Many cameras write empty space between sections in RAW images.  In the past, FujiFilm RAF images didn't contain empty space like this, but this has changed with both the HS10 and the X-Pro1 which write 100-300kB of empty space.  With the HS10 this empty space is set to all binary zeros, but apparently this isn't the case for all X-Pro1 images.  For other makes, I would estimate that the empty space is set to zero about 60-70% of the time, so this is not uncommon, but is new for FujiFilm.  Nevertheless, we should test this carefully to be sure that this isn't useful data.

- Phil

Kousuke

Hi Phil,

Thank you for telling me the examples and for updated version, and I'm sorry for broken English (from Japan).

I attempted to -m option at once. I geotagged RAF images and then checked Exif data by using "RAW FILE CONVERTER EX powered by SILKYPIX" (for X-Pro1 by FUJIFILM). RAF images seem not to have a problem. However, SILKYPIX isn't able to show Exif data of geotag (the geotag data was confirmed by Apple aperture and ExifChanger).
Then, geotagged RAF was copied to a SD card, followed by a check of the image in X-Pro1. X-Pro1 body seems to show the images without a problem. It can also show Fujifilm's own peculiar data correctly (Film simulation mode and dynamic range).

Kousuke

Phil Harvey

Hi Kousuke,

Thanks for checking this.  It sounds like the only problem you found was that SILKYPIX didn't show the new GPS information, which is maybe understandable because I don't know if it has this ability.

Eventually I may remove the minor warning (and the need to use -m), but I'll leave it in place for now.

- Phil

Kousuke

I'm sorry for causing a misunderstanding.
It is a specification that SILKYPIX doesn't show GPS information. When I develop RAF image by SILKYPIX, the developed JPEG or TIFF images have GPS info.Developing by SILKYPIX for X-Pro1 and by X-Pro1 body are different. SILKYPIX can't even read an information of Film simulation mode and dynamic range.

I'll try to check whether geotagged RAF image is correctly developed in X-Pro1 body.

Thanks
Kousuke

Phil Harvey

Hi Kousuke,

Are you saying that SILKYPIX develops the RAF image differently if it has been first edited with ExifTool?

- Phil

Kousuke

Hi Phil,

I'm sorry. SILKYPIX develops the RAF image similarly even if it has been edited with ExifTool.
"Developing by SILKYPIX for X-Pro1 and by X-Pro1 body are different." means that we cannot utilize Exif info of film simulation setting and dynamic range setting when using SILYKYPIX for X-Pro1 because of its specification.

Kousuke

Phil Harvey