Main Menu

ExifTool License

Started by Phil Harvey, March 12, 2012, 12:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Harvey

ExifTool uses the Perl Artistic License, which allows ExifTool to be embedded into a commercial application without charge, provided that "no overt attempt is made to make this Package's interfaces visible to the end user of the commercial distribution"  (This means that you must make money from the features of your software, and not by providing a thin shell over ExifTool.)

However, if ExifTool adds significant value to your commercial application, it is fair to expect a proportional donation in recognition of the hard work that has gone into ExifTool, although this is not required.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Flora

Sorry that I am not quite understand the Perl Artistic License. May I know if I could use the ExifTool (including ExifToolGUI and ExifToolGUI Portable) solely within my company free of charge? Thanks.

StarGeek

ExiftoolGUI wasn't made by Phil.  You'll have to check the ExiftoolGUI subforum for details on that.

Regarding exiftool itself, I'm pretty sure the answer is yes you can.  Websites like Flickr and programs such as PhoTools IMatch use exiftool on the back end.

Phil will have to verify this, of course.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

obetz

The Perl environment's license might also be relevant in case of distributions bundled with it.

I have to admit that I don't understand the Activestate license documents.

Here is a recent forum post regarding PAR/pp: https://community.activestate.com/t/build-error-for-par-1-019-and-par-packer-1-059-perl-5-36-1-windows/11890/17

Martin B.

Hi,

I'm the individual who made that request to ActiveState (Build error for: PAR 1.019 and PAR-Packer 1.059 - Perl-5.36.1-Windows).

I have to say ActiveState were very supportive and even offered me free access to a higher-tier licence because I was developing Free Open-Source Software (FOSS). It did take a few days to clarify everything, including me specifying that I didn't even need the extra features of the higher-tier licence, which would have required me to fill out forms, etc., but they gave me written permission to continue using the features I needed for free. Their licence is relatively clear although, as for any legal document, you need to read it carefully. Like I said, they came through when I asked questions about the licence.

In addition, they respond within a day or two to my support requests on their forum, and they have provided fixes within a week or so.

Their new platform, which uses their "state" tool to pull updates from their site to your computer, takes a couple of hours to get used to, and it is still improving, but it has the advantage of greatly facilitating updates.

Overall, I recommend ActiveState; they are technically and commercially sound. Even for free software projects.

Martin

FrankB

Quote from: StarGeek on March 14, 2024, 02:15:30 PMExiftoolGUI wasn't made by Phil.  You'll have to check the ExiftoolGUI subforum for details on that.

Just happen to notice this post, and the remark about ExifToolGUI.
I'm the one that is maintaining ExifToolGui since summer 2023, and I must admit that I dont know what the licence status is of ExifToolGui. I have been asked that question a couple of times, and I did look if I could find a statement from Bogdan Hrastnik, the original developer. But I could not fInd anything. From what I understand, if there is no statement it doesn't mean that it's Free.
I can only say that I consider my contributions Free, but I can't make a statement about the work Bogdan put in.

Is there someone amongst you that knows more?

Phil Harvey

I've sent a note to Bogdan asking if we can distribute his code with a GPL license.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

FrankB

Phil Harvey

Hi Frank,

Bogdan says he is good with a GPL 3.0 license for his code.

- Phil

FrankB

That's great news Phil.

I will add a template license to Github, and make a remark on the README.md.
Update the About.
That should do it I imagine.

Thanks for asking Bogdan.