News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Modifying GPSDateTime & GPSDateStamp

Started by AuroEdge, April 26, 2012, 06:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AuroEdge

Long story short my phone saved GPSDateTime & GPSDateStamp as the wrong date and time (1970 at 7 in the morning). I would think it should be very straightforward to delete those tags with the commandline using exiftool but I have failed to delete those tags. I have tried "exiftool -GPSDateTime= image.jpg" and "exiftool -GPSDateStamp= image.jpg" but that did not modify the files. How do I go about deleting those two erroneous tags?

Phil Harvey

I think you want to delete the EXIF GPS tags GPSDateStamp and GPSTimeStamp, so your second command should be correct.  Do you get any error messages?

GPS information may also be stored in XMP, and here it is called GPSDateTime.  So if it was XMP, your first command should work.  Use exiftool -a -s -G image.jpg to see all information and where it is located.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

AuroEdge

I've verified the two tags I mentioned earlier. GPSDateStamp, GPSTimeStamp, and GPSDateTime were all incorrect. But on further review, all of the GPS data was set to 'default' values i.e. 0 lat 0 long etc. I do not know why my commands don't work, all that comes afterwards is:

1 directories scanned
    0 image files updated
   45 image files unchanged

Instead of image.jpg I just used to .\FolderName argument instead. I went ahead and tried

exiftool GPS:all= .\FolderName

and it worked like a charm. In case you're curious, this is all the result of a bug in a custom Android ROM that has since been fixed. For whatever reason Google+ and what not default to date sort by GPS tags rather than any of the other time tags which are actually correct

EDIT: When I tried to view a specific tag, say exiftool -a -s -G gps:GPSDateStamp image.jpg, I would only get a warning for makernotes. When I tried with GPS:all it then worked

Phil Harvey

Quote from: AuroEdge on April 26, 2012, 06:09:13 PM
I do not know why my commands don't work, all that comes afterwards is:

1 directories scanned
    0 image files updated
   45 image files unchanged

Exactly what was the command, and what is the output of exiftool -a -G1 -s for one of the files (ie. does it contain the information you are trying to delete)?

QuoteInstead of image.jpg I just used to .\FolderName argument instead. I went ahead and tried

exiftool GPS:all= .\FolderName

and it worked like a charm.

OK, so it seems that the files at least contained some GPS information.

QuoteEDIT: When I tried to view a specific tag, say exiftool -a -s -G gps:GPSDateStamp image.jpg, I would only get a warning for makernotes. When I tried with GPS:all it then worked

So it seems the GPSDateStamp tag didn't exist.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).