PCD format

Started by pb, May 05, 2012, 05:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pb

As best I can tell, exiftool does not recognize PCD format.  (Kodak Photo CD.)

I realize that this is an obsolete format, but it still would be nice to be able to extract metadata from such files, of which I have many hanging around from when I was taking pictures of dinosaurs roaming the earth.

I note that there is GPL C++ library that is able to extract this info, and based on my test of his windows executable, does so correctly.  It's pcdtojpeg which is hosted on sourceforge here:  http://pcdtojpeg.sourceforge.net/Home.html

Of course I know nothing else about this, like for example whether Kodak will sue you for decoding PCD without a license, or similar nonsense.  However, would you consider adding PCD metadata decoding, and possibly copying into a different image format?  (The latter is probably doable automatically as long as I want to define my own tags, I guess.)

--peter

Phil Harvey

Hi Peter,

Do you have any PCD sample images you could send me? (my mail is philharvey66 at gmail.com)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

pb

Sure.  They're about 4MB each, so I will send a couple in separate emails.  (I don't think my isp will allow an 8MB email.)

--peter

Phil Harvey

Thanks, I got the samples.

I'll see what I can do about adding support for this format.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

pb

Phil Harvey

There you go.  ExifTool 8.92 with PCD read support is now available from the ExifTool home page.

- PHil

pb

Great!  Thanks!

--peter