mts to jpg stills using exiftool....

Started by redclawkefar, November 03, 2011, 06:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redclawkefar

so, i was wondering, and forgive me if this has been posted before, can the exiftool convert an MTS video file to jpg's and each jpg have the exif information embedded?

from what i've read so far, it sounds like it should be able to do it but i don't seem to get the right command-line arguments.

i'm using the windows cmd line version for eventual batch processing.

thanks for any input.
mark

Phil Harvey

Hi Mark,

No.  ExifTool doesn't do any image manipulation of any kind.  It operates on metadata only.  You can use it to transfer metadata from an MTS video to a JPG, but you can't create the JPG image.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

redclawkefar

ahhh ok. now i got it.

so, i've refined my method... now i'm dumping the video file to jpg's and from there writing the meta data from the video files (mts etc).

it's not filling in all data but that's to be expected.

thanks for the help.
m

Chris75

Dear both,

How is it possible to dump jpgs from the mts/avchd video via exiftool?

And how can I split the gps logfile from the video?
For this I have tried the following commands but it didn't work.
exiftool -ee -p '$gpslatitude, $gpslongitude, $gpstimestamp, $DateTimeOriginal' 00000.MTS
exiftool -ee -p '$gpslatitude, $gpslongitude, $gpstimestamp, $DateTimeOriginal' 00000.MTS 2>&1 | tee 00000.MTS.info

Any idea on this?

Thanks & best regards,
Chris

Phil Harvey

Hi Chris,

ExifTool can not generate JPEG images from MTS video.  You need another tool to do this.

Your command should work if the MTS video has GPS embedded in the MDPM section of the H264 video:

> exiftool -ee -p '$gpslatitude, $gpslongitude, $gpstimestamp, $DateTimeOriginal' ../pics/SonyDSC-HX7V.mts
34.950216 N, 136.819428 E, 05:38:09, 2011:02:03 14:38:51+09:00
34.950216 N, 136.819428 E, 05:38:09, 2011:02:03 14:38:51+09:00
34.950216 N, 136.819428 E, 05:38:09, 2011:02:03 14:38:52+09:00

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Chris75

Hi Phil,

Thanks for prompt reply and info. Now I've understood the whole post and functionality.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris75

Hi Phil,

I have one additional question...
What's the easiest way to write these coordinates into a gpx or nmea file?

Thanks,
Chris

Phil Harvey

Hi Chris,

See the reverse geotagging section of the Geotag documentation for examples of creating a GPX file.

- Phil