Author Topic: Nikon D800 NEFs ==> SubIFD Tags corrupted ==> Rewrite possible?  (Read 76022 times)

drjazz

Re: Nikon D800 NEFs ==> SubIFD Tags corrupted ==> Rewrite possible?
« Reply #150 on: June 01, 2016, 11:39:48 AM »
Hi Phil -

that's cool! Thank you very much for your effort...
I'll give it a try!!

cpaulPHL

« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2016, 11:01:30 AM »
Slightly different problem here - Nikon NEF files that were edited with Capture NX 2 can be displayed in View NX 2, but can no longer be converted ("unsupported file type").
Many of these NEF files were created with a Nikon D60, which isn't supported in the "fix_corrupted_nef" utility.
Any idea what Capture NX 2 might be doing to "corrupt" these NEF files? I tried removing all adjustments and SAVE AS in NX 2 but no luck...

Thanks in advance!
- Paul

Hi William,

If they were corrupted by Nikon software, then send me one of the files and I'll see if it is possible to fix with this utility.  If so, then I will require more samples shot at various compression settings to be able to add support.  My mail is philharvey66 at gmail.com

- Phil

Phil Harvey

• ExifTool Author
  • Administrator
  • ExifTool Freak
    • ExifTool Home Page
« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2016, 11:08:57 AM »
Hi Paul,

The usual thing that goes wrong is the RAW data IFD is converted into one for a JPEG preview.  The raw data is still there in place of what should be the JPEG image.  You can check to see if this is the case by comparing the tags in SubIFD1 between a good and bad image:

exiftool -a -subifd1:all FILE

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).