Nikon D800 NEFs ==> SubIFD Tags corrupted ==> Rewrite possible?

Started by spark, June 29, 2012, 11:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRC

Hi,
I just downloaded and used the method mentioned above to save many corrupted d800 NEF files (used nikon transfer 1) I didn't know how to fix for 2 months. 
This process works like a charm, and the step by step is a big help for people like me who can't handle computers very well. This is the one and only way to fix to this problem many people have been experienced when first using d800.
Brilliant. Thanks a lot Phil!

Arthur

Hello Phil
Many Many thanks. I got back all my pictures. I didn't expect so much. It's realy fantastic.
I am travelling in Canada for business, but as I promised, I will make a donation when I'll be back home.
Thanks again.
Arthur

Phil Harvey

Great!  Glad to hear it is working well.

I've just created an EXE version of this utility for Windows.

Click here for full details

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

bobfrost

Hi Phil,

It's great that you've worked out how to do this. Could you update it to work with the normal FX files; I know someone who has corrupted loads of D800 nefs and deleted the originals on his cards!!

Bob Frost

Phil Harvey

Hi Bob,

Ooops, sorry.  Somehow "DX" got stuck in my head, and I was thinking that this was the normal format.   All my test files are 7424x4924 pixels, which (after some googling) looks to be FX.  I got my terminology wrong. 

I'll update the documentation.

- Phil

Edit: The web page and a previous post in this thread have now been updated.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

renato

I believe you are saving lives here!! But I just found another issue using Nikon View NX (new version).

Nikon Transfer old version corrupts a D800 file when transferring the files but the file size doesn't change. This way your miracle tool CAN heal the file. But if the corrupted file (not healed yet) has a label or rating applied to it using the Nikon View NX (new version) instantly the file turns to 72 dpi and has its size drastically reduced (like 74mb original turns immediately to 2 Mb). After that it cannot be healed anymore and it opens with Photoshop normally in a very small size.
I lost 140 files I labeled this way.

Comparing the Corrupted file (not healed with Exif tool) these are the aspects that changed:
BEFORE LABEL >>> AFTER LABEL :

File Size: 74 MB >> File Size: 4.2 MB
Software: Nikon Transfer 2.1 W >>> Software: ViewNX 2.5 W
Jpg From Raw Start: 184981 >>> Jpg From Raw Start: 185735 (lenght didn't change)
X Resolution: 1.525855624e-005 >>> X Resolution: 72 (after correction the labeled and the non labeled became 300, but the labeled did not open anymore)
>>>In the labeled file it appeared: Rating Percent: 0 (there was no rating percent in the non labeled)
Preview Image Start: 84422 >>>Preview Image Start : 84422

Phil Harvey

Wow, this sucks. :(

I call this a bug.  If you use ExifTool (any version) to write the corrupted files, the raw data is preserved and the file can still be repaired afterward.

- Phil

renato

The Nikon Transfer problem can be corrected with EXIF tool.  But this drastic size reduction when labeling with  Nikon View I believe is irreversible.
I tried to fix these reduced files with EXIF but although the resolution changed the file size did not recover. And they don't open after the correction.

Phil Harvey

Yes, I agree.  There is no way that the NikonView double-corrupted files are repairable because the original raw data is certainly lost.

- Phil

Phil Harvey

I have just uploaded a new version of this utility that supports the D4 as well as the D800/D800E.

- Phil

davidgoerndt

New here, I just downloaded the exe to fix corrupted NEF files. When I open the exe, I get a prompt to hit any key and the prompt goes away with nothing happening.
David Goerndt

davidgoerndt

Disregard the previous post. I managed to figure out what i was doing wrong. The files that were corrupted are now fixed and back to their original image size. Thanks for this beautiful little app!

banjoinn

I've been struggling with this problem over the last few days. I'm wondering if there is anything more on reply #49. I've found that your program works great for files corrupted by ViewNX from a D800 that were taken in FX format. However, it doesn't work for files taken on the same camera in DX format. (I'm using Windows 7 Home premium).

Phil Harvey

I should be able to add support for DX-format images, but I will need a set of 12 test images comprised of the following 6 images a) copied directly from the camera's memory card, and b) downloaded via Nikon transfer 1:

1) 12-bit compressed
2) 12-bit lossless compressed
3) 12-bit uncompressed
4) 14-bit compressed
5) 14-bit lossless compressed
6) 14-bit uncompressed

- Phil

banjoinn

That would be great, and I am sure there are others that would benefit. I've prepared the files - but there are 532 MB of them, so what is the best way for you to get them?