News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Remove specific tags from a file

Started by karlman, July 08, 2012, 03:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlman

Hello,

I am having trouble figuring out how exactly to use ExifTool to remove some tags I believe are causing issues in Windows. Ever since I got my iPhone 4S I am not able to properly edit images in Windows 7. After some research it appears to be due to some facial recognition tags that are being inserted by the iPhone that Windows does not like.

I was able to use ExifTool to remove all tags and then it works fine. However, I rather just remove the offending tags so I do not lose all that info. Here are the tags I believe need to be removed:

Region Applied To Dimensions W  : 3264
Region Applied To Dimensions H  : 2448
Region Applied To Dimensions Unit: pixel
Region Extensions Timestamp     : 407640909
Region Extensions Confidence Level: 270
Region Extensions Face ID       : 1
Region Area Y                   : 0.329
Region Area W                   : 0.097
Region Area Unit                : normalized
Region Area X                   : 0.572
Region Area H                   : 0.129
Region Type                     : Face

I have tried:  ExifTool(-k).exe --region* sample.jpg which shows me a list without the tags but does not write them to the file that way.

I have also tried the -o option which creates another file but the Region tags are present there as well.

Can any help me properly format this to remove the tags?

Thank you very much
Karl

Phil Harvey

Hi Karl,

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I was on vacation.

There are a few ways to do this:

exiftool -xmp-rs:all= FILE

exiftool -xmp-rs:regions= FILE

Either of these should do what you want.  The 2nd command deletes the entire containing Regions structure.  See the XMP tag name documentation for details.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).