News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Picasa and Windows Live Photo Gallery captioning intercompatibility

Started by pwright2, July 08, 2012, 06:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwright2

Asbestos I can tell, Picasa writes captions into XMP:Description and Windows Live Photo Gallery (WLPG) writes captions into both XMP:Title and Description and perhaps other places.  It overwrites existing data, such as Picasa caption. 

I prefer editing/captioning in Picasa.  I have a lot more display space in Windows Skydrive.  So, I would like to use exiftool (or something) to scan thru the folder of pictures that I have captioned in Picasa and copy the XMP:Description to XMP:Title.  Except, if XMP:Description=Olympus Digital Camera, then delete XMP:Description and if XMP:Title=Olympus Digital Camera, then delete XMP:Title. (maybe those mods should be done first)

I think that this:

exiftool -TagsFromFile src.jpg -all:all dst.mie
         Copy all meta information in its original form from a JPEG image to
         a MIE file. The MIE file will be created if it doesn't exist. This
         technique can be used to store the metadata of an image so it can
         be inserted back into the image (with the inverse command) later in
         a workflow.

would do the job (driven by a batch file), except I can't figure out what the "inverse command" would be. 

and it looks sorta like there is a command here:

exiftool -tagsfromfile %d%f.CRW -r -ext JPG dir
         Recursively rewrite all "JPG" images in "dir" with information
         copied from the corresponding "CRW" images in the same directories.

that might eliminate the need for the batch file. 

Anyhow, I suspect this has been covered before but haven't found the search that leads me to that thread.  If you can point me, I will appreciate it.

I have another question but will put it in a separate thread.

-----Paul-----

Phil Harvey

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I was on vacation.

You can do this with commands such as this:

exiftool -r -ext jpg "-xmp:title<xmp:description" -if "$xmp:description ne 'Olympus Digital Camera'" DIR

(where the quoting above is for Windows.  swap the single/double quotes for Mac and Linux)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).