News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

ExifTool Config (PDFX)

Started by hermanpeckel, July 18, 2012, 02:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermanpeckel

Firstly, I want to say hats off to Phil for a top tool! Unfortunately I tried others before stumbling onto this.

Anyhow, my predicament - I am trying to write metadata into print PDFs for our workflow. I have got EXIFtool and Applescript working together like old mates, and I'm writing metadata like a man possessed! All good.

The reason I am writing the metadata to the PDF is so it can be picked up in our workflow solution called Odystar. Now, Odystar can pick up data written to the PDFX namespace (if that's what they're called), but seeminlgy no other. Now, my problem is, I can't write tags to THIS namespace unless I define them in the .ExifTool_config file (can I?).

Is there another way of writing custom data to the PDFX namespace? I've had a brief look at doing a custom .ExifTool_config but it looks complex.

Any advice much appreciated!

Regards
HP

Phil Harvey

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I was on vacation.

The user-defined tag is the way to go.  The config file is simple, and would look something like this:

%Image::ExifTool::UserDefined = (
    'Image::ExifTool::XMP::pdfx' => {
        SomeNewTag => { },
        AnotherNewTag => { },
    },
);
1; # end

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

hermanpeckel

Phil, you are a champion!! It worked a treat! You've no idea how much time and how many attempts I've had at doing this (pre-exiftool).

I'm very appreciative of your help (and ExifTool)!! Thanks a million!!!!