add tag if it does not already exist/have value

Started by Versil, September 24, 2012, 07:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Versil

I am trying to generate xmp data for files of any type (with or without metadata) without modifying the original.  I am able to insert new data such as dc:subject and dc:source.  However, I would like to provide values for some tags if and only if they do not already have a value.  CreateDate is a good example, though not the only.  Any Help would be greatly appreciated!

The basic command line I am using is this:
exiftool -tagsFromFile @ -title='Working Set 1' -subject='Anna'  -o %d%f_%e.xmp .

After reading this thread:  https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=3290.0 , I tried this:
exiftool -tagsFromFile @ -title='Qorking Set 1' -subject='Anna' -createdate=2012:12:12 -createdate-=  -o %d%f_%e.xmp .

While this inserts the date properly in files which do not have a date; it also overwrites the date in those that do.

Did I miss something?

Thanks.

-Versil

Phil Harvey

Hi Versil,

The problem is that the -TAG-=VALUE syntax has a different meaning for date/time tags.  For these, -= is used to shift the time backwards.  However, if no value is given then it doesn't make sense to shift the time.  In that case, maybe I could make exiftool write the value only if it doesn't exist (as with non-date/time tags).  I'll look into this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Versil

Thanks for the quick response.  That explains it.  It does work properly for non datetime  tags.  What if there was simply a command line option for shift/noshift behavior?  Or all tag values are treated as text (no shifting available) unless wrapped in parens?

Realizing these examples don't make sense on their own...
-createdate+=(2012:12:12)    would treat the date as a date, not as a text field.
-createdate+=2012:12:12    would treat the date as textual value for the field.

-Versil

Phil Harvey

I'll have to think about this.  I like your idea brackets if I can make it backward compatible.

The complication is that the += and -= operators have been overloaded to have more meanings than just this:

1) List-type tags: += adds list item, -= deletes list item

2) Numerical-valued tags: += increments value

3) Date/time tags: += shifts date/time forward, -= shifts date/time backward

4) Non-date/time and non-list tags: -= used for conditional deletion/replacement

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Versil

To help maintain backwards compatibility, how about using something like double quotes or double-single quotes to force textual evaluation; otherwise, treat the value as whatever its special datatype may be.

Regarding the current implementation; is there a way to achieve what I want using ifs?

-Versil

Phil Harvey

Hi Versil,

What is ifs?  If you're talking about using the API, then yes, this should be possible.

- Phil

Versil

Phil Harvey

Ah.  Yes, you could process the file only if the tag doesn't exist.  But this is all or nothing, so you could only do one tag at a time like this.

- Phil

Phil Harvey

Hi Versil,

I finally got around to working on this.  I was a bit surprised to discover that it already works for me!:

> exiftool a.jpg -createdate
Create Date                     : 2012:08:10 18:59:27

> exiftool a.jpg -createdate-= -createdate=2012:12:12
Warning: Invalid date/time (use YYYY:mm:dd HH:MM:SS[.ss][+/-HH:MM|Z]) in ExifIFD:CreateDate (PrintConvInv)
    0 image files updated
    1 image files unchanged

> exiftool a.jpg -createdate-= -createdate="2012:12:12 12:00:00"
    0 image files updated
    1 image files unchanged

> exiftool a.jpg -createdate=    1 image files updated

> exiftool a.jpg -createdate-= -createdate="2012:12:12 12:00:00"
    1 image files updated

> exiftool a.jpg -createdateCreate Date                     : 2012:12:12 12:00:00

The only difference from what you were doing is that I had to use a full date/time value.  If you didn't get a warning with your command, perhaps it is because you were using a very old version of ExifTool.  In this case, maybe simply updating to the current version will get you going with this.

- Phil

herb

Hello Versil and hello Phil,

I followed your discussion and have an additional question.
Is it possible that the "problem" depends on the sequence:
- Versil used: -createdate=value -createdate-=
- Phil used:    -createdate-= -createdate=value

Best Regards
Herb

Phil Harvey

Hi Herb,

Good idea, but this order should not matter.  I tried it just to be sure and it works both ways for me.

- Phil

shiregator

Hi Phil,

Is there anyway to add all tags except for ones that already exist/have value?  The following overwrites all tags in the destination.

exiftool -tagsFromFile src.cr2 dst.jpg

Thanks so much for this exceptional tool.

Regards,
Jamie

StarGeek

Take a look at the -wm (writemode) option.  I regularly use -wm cg to write only new tags and not to overwrite existing tags.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

shiregator

Thanks StarGeek!  That's working via command line:

exiftool -wm cg -tagsFromFile src.jpg dst.jpg

But if I run it from are args file I get "Invalid TAG name: wm cg".  How can I run that from within an args file?

exiftool -stay_open true -@ "..\args"

Here is my args file:

-echo
**START** 883db520-a093-4e23-b834-fed5dcbf6f1d
-overwrite_original
-ver
-wm cg
-tagsFromFile
src.jpg
dst.jpg
-execute
-echo
**STOP** 883db520-a093-4e23-b834-fed5dcbf6f1d
-execute
-echo
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-execute

-execute
-stay_open
false

StarGeek

From the docs on the -@ (Argfile) option:
        The file contains one argument per line (NOT one option per line -- some options require additional arguments, and all arguments must be placed on separate lines).

In an arg file it would be
-wm
cg
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).