Main Menu

Rotating Videos?

Started by stueudaly, October 15, 2012, 04:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stueudaly

First of all, I am the newb of all newbs. Please go easy on me...
I am on a Mac, and really dont know much about Terminal, so I hope I am asking the right questions.

Short story: I need to know if it is possible to edit the exif data to rotate a .mov file that is sideways.
Long story: I hit the record button on my iPhone as I was rotating my phone to landscape position, not realizing that the phone tags the orientation metadata to the video at the moment you hit record. As such, when I imported into iPhoto, my video was sideways and there is no way to edit orientation for movies in iPhoto. Now, I could go into iMovie, rotate the footage, and re-export it, but that is a lossy process that also removes almost all metadata tied to the video. I found exiftool and installed it, but am pretty lost about what to do next. I think there should be some command to rotate, as I've seen several people posting about rotating a photo. If there is such a command, could someone please inform me of what it is and walk me through the steps to accomplish the rotation? As I said at the beginning, I am a total newb and would appreciate any help given in an easy-to-understand manner (treat me like I know nothing).
Thank you very much for your time and any answers you can come up with.

Stu

Phil Harvey

I would look at a video utility to do this.  ExifTool doesn't write video files.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

iphoneuser

Hi Phil,
I have just found exiftool and am very excited about all that I will be using it for with my photos and videos transferred to my computer from my iPhone.

Please forgive my ignorance about exif (?) data in image and video files. Why can't exiftool be used to tweak some of the data we can see in video files?  I can see Rotation is set to 90 in iPhone video file but I do not know what it would take to modify that parameter.

Thanks in advance for educating me. :)

- Samy

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).