copy FileModifyDate to DateTimeOriginal

Started by phserruys, November 12, 2012, 08:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phserruys

Hello,
I have here a series of photos from a non-standard (multispectral) camera, making RAW files that apparently are not supported by ExifTool and ExifTool GUI. 
The only thing I would like to do, however, is to copy the date and time from FileModifyDate to the Exif Metadata DateTimeOriginal.  Is there a simple command for this in exif tool direct or in the GUI ? I hope then that I can link the series of photos to a GPS track in order to geotack them. 
(it is about linking these multispectral images taken from a drone to the gps track the drone flew). 
thanks in advance for your help. 
Philippe

Phil Harvey

If the format is not supported, then exiftool can't write EXIF to the file.  Or maybe I don't understand the question.  Or do you want to copy this to a JPEG image produced from the RAW?  If so, this can probably be done like this in exiftool direct:

-tagsfromfile %d%f.RAW "-datetimeoriginal<filemodifydate"

Then select the JPG images.

This will only work if the RAW images have the same name as the JPG's.  (Substitute "RAW" for the actual extension of your RAW images).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

phserruys

Well, the RAW format is not supported.  But I have processed TIF files that have the same name as the original RAW files, to which the exif information could be written.  Would that be the same procedure ?  How to proceed ?
thanks a lot,
Philippe

Phil Harvey

Hi Philippe,

Same procedure.  Just select the TIF images instead.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

phserruys