Original version of ExifToolGUI currently unsupported

Started by Phil Harvey, November 12, 2012, 07:56:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luteja

Does anybody know what happened to Bogdan? Is he ok?

Since ExifToolGUI has not been updated for more than 2 years is it still safe and compatible to use it with the latest ExifTool version?

Are there any alternatives to ExifToolGUI that we can possibly use?

Phil Harvey

Bogdan is OK.  He just decided that there was a real life outside the computer screen that he was missing.

To my knowledge, I haven't introduced any incompatibilities due to ExifTool updates.  I try really hard to maintain backward compatibility since ExifTool is used by many applications.

Any alternatives the I know about are listed on the ExifTool home page.  I'm not aware of anything better.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

dgsjsj

Hi Phil.
Version Windows Executable: exiftool-10.32.zip (4.9 MB)
It is not compatible with ExiftoolGUI version 5.16
Windows system 8.1 64 crashes
The information given for information only. I understand that you are not responsible for the work envelope.
Sorry for bad english. Best regards, Sergei.

Hayo Baan

Thanks for the report! What error message do you get? Does exiftool work when used outside the GUI?
Does the GUI still work with an older version of exiftool?
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Phil Harvey

This is more likely a problem with ExifTool, not ExifToolGUI.  Please try uninstalling according to these instructions and re-downloading and re-installing ExifTool and let me know if that helps.  Also, please try running ExifTool directly as Hayo suggests.

- Phil

Edit: I just discovered that I built the EXE version of ExifTool 10.32 for 64-bit Windows instead of 32-bit.  I'll see about reverting to 32-bit compatibility for the next release.  This may have something to do with the problem.

Edit2: Try ExifTool 10.33 -- this one is built for 32-bit Windows again.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

dgsjsj

1. What error message do you get?
2. Does exiftool work when used outside the GUI?
3.Does the GUI still work with an older version of exiftool?
-------------------------------------------------------------
1. I did not make a screenshot of the error message and can not remember the text.
2. When you drag a window, nothing happened. Because I do not work the command line.
3. Graphical interface works after installing exiftool-10.31 for Windows Executable:

dgsjsj

Графическую оболочку и exiftool-10.33 (без к)   запускаю из папки C:\My Tools\
Программа не работает. При попытке закрыть программу выдаётся сообщение
invalid pointer operation
Выход возможен только через диспетчер задач.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Graphical shell and exiftool-10.33 (not K) run from the folder C: \ My Tools \
The program is not working. When you try to close the program issued a message-
invalid pointer operation
Output is possible only through the Task Manager.

dgsjsj

As a result, I returned to exiftool-10.31 for Windows Executable.
I regret that I can not get any help.

Hayo Baan

Have you already tried with the latest 10.33? As Phil said that is made for 32 bit windows. 10.32 was accidentally build for 64 bit windows only. And it looks like that was your problem.
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Phil Harvey

From his last post it sounds like there were still problems with 10.33, but I don't think this is an exiftool.exe problem because I have reports that 10.33 works with Windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 (32-bit and 64-bit).

(FYI: The problem with 10.32 was due to the fact that I lost my Windows 10 development system because of disk problems, and when I rebuilt it I installed the wrong Perl version.  This was fixed for 10.33, and I now keep multiple backups of my Windows development system so this shouldn't happen again.)

- Phil

dgsjsj

Hello.
I have a 64-bit Windows 8.1
I repeatedly tried two extreme versions 32 and 33.
I delete temporary files as recommended.
This did not lead to positive results.
I continue to use ExifTool Version Number         : 10.31
I will successively install the new version and tell if they work.

dgsjsj

Hi Phil.
Version Windows Executable: exiftool-10.35.zip (5.8 MB)
It is  compatible with ExiftoolGUI version 5.16
Windows system 8.1 64-bit
Best regards, Sergei.
Phil, thank you for the new version. I wish you successful work on the development of the program.

Phil Harvey

This makes sense if you were using the -lang option.

I'm glad it works for you now.

- Phil

dgsjsj

Yes it is. Works version  -lang (35)
Option (34) does not work.
If -lang options will have an odd numbering, it will be clear which version to use. :)

Phil Harvey

Quote from: dgsjsj on November 22, 2016, 08:02:34 AM
If -lang options will have an odd numbering, it will be clear which version to use. :)

I don't understand.  Hopefully all future versions will be OK.  The problem was due to a change in the build environment on my Windows system -- I had to rebuild it because of a disk crash.

- Phil