News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Original version of ExifToolGUI currently unsupported

Started by Phil Harvey, November 12, 2012, 07:56:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgsjsj

In any case, it is clear that 10.31 and 10.35 working version.
I think you should not worry. There is something to be guided, if you want to maintain compatibility.
Всего доброго и удачи. С уважением Сергей.

Phil Harvey

Yes.  Only versions 10.32-10.34 had this problem.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

dgsjsj

Farrukh

Hi
I just worked with ExifToolUI 4.27 and it worked with ExifTool 10.3.8. Edited some JPGs in batch and it logged only some Canon Camera Tag related warnings.
But I was not able to edit any tag in ExifToolUI 5.16 with ExifTool 10.3.8.

Farrukh

Phil Harvey

There have been some people with problems running ExifToolGUI on Windows 10 which have been solved by setting the compatibility property of the ExifToolGUI application.  See this post for details.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

wasabi65

Actually also ran into the Win10/ExifToolGUI issue. Settings the compatibility or any other measure mentioned here did not help. Finally what did it was a setting that I had never noticed previously. As the files were downloaded as ZIPs, when unpacking them with the Win10 explorer a new property shows up (ExifTool, as well as for all files of ExifToolGUI). You need to check that bottom right option (sorry, I have a German Win10). It says that the file comes from another computer and access is blocked. Cehcking the option allows access. The only other settings required for me were to run with admin rights and whitelisting in my antivirus.

Kenneth Evans

For the record I found Exif Pilot, which is free.  It seems to be a reasonable program.  At the time I had not done much with metadata beyond what Photoshop and Lightroom provide, but I needed (maybe wanted is better  ;) ) to do something about copyright for art from a number of drawing programs (on computers, tablets, and phones) that typically do not add metadata.  In trying to decide how to do that, I got more into Exiftool and ExifToolGui, that I had apparently installed some time before.

It was harder than I thought, and by the time I had it in hand, I was much more experienced with Exiftool and ExifToolGui.  I removed Exif Pilot from my computers, just to keep things simple.  ExifToolGui seems to be good enough for my purposes, mainly viewing metadata.  And there is Exiftool, which does about anything (but not as a GUI) as a backup.

The bottom line is if you are looking for an alternative, this would be one to look at, at least on Windows.

frazierwilliam

Yeah, thanks, Phil.

I, too, was initially bummed as I had trouble getting ExifToolGUI to function properly.

Phil's list of tools that leverage ExifTool is great. I actually had stumbled upon GeoSetter right after having trouble with ExifToolGUI (it's on Phil's list), and I'm actually finding it to be a fantastic GUI. To me, it seems to be much easier to use than ExifToolGUI, but I'm in no position to state that as fact.

Anyway, if you're jazzed about the possibilities of using ExifTool (which I was), but thinking that without ExifToolGUI it'll be a large learning project, GeoSetter is likely to meet your needs. Geosetter is free. Download is on the Germany tld: http://www.geosetter.de/en/main-en/

Manuel G.

Quote from: Phil Harvey on March 19, 2015, 06:58:10 AM
Bogdan is OK.  He just decided that there was a real life outside the computer screen that he was missing.

To my knowledge, I haven't introduced any incompatibilities due to ExifTool updates.  I try really hard to maintain backward compatibility since ExifTool is used by many applications.

Any alternatives the I know about are listed on the ExifTool home page.  I'm not aware of anything better.

- Phil

Hello,

Could you ask Bogdan, if he would be willing to hand over ExifitoolGui project and all his notes, to someone who wants to, to continue developing it? It would be good news.

Phil Harvey

I did ask him years ago, and he responded that the project wasn't in a state where it could be made public.

- Phil

Manuel G.

Quote from: Phil Harvey on March 24, 2020, 09:14:19 AM
I did ask him years ago, and he responded that the project wasn't in a state where it could be made public.

- Phil

Thank you very much for your answer

obetz

there is an open source GUI wrapper in Python: https://hvdwolf.github.io/pyExifToolGUI/

I didn't use it but if you want to roll your own, this might be a starting point.

Brendianer

Hello!
Why do I get a script error whilst using Google maps?
Regards

Phil Harvey

Quote from: Brendianer on January 04, 2021, 04:53:46 AM
Why do I get a script error whilst using Google maps?

This error is currently unresolved:

https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=4247.msg20209#msg20209

https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=6875.msg44284#msg44284

Something at Google changed to stop this from working.  Perhaps this is related to the fact that the Google Maps API is no longer free.  If it isn't, this fact alone would break this feature now unless you had your own API keys.

- Phil

Edit:  More related threads with answers to some questions but no solution to this problem:

https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=9724.0

https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=9674.msg50252#msg50252

Brendianer

Thanks Phil!
But maybe I am too stupid.
How can I change the GPS data?
I cannot edit Exif data. Only on Workspace.