Original version of ExifToolGUI currently unsupported

Started by Phil Harvey, November 12, 2012, 07:56:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Harvey

I don't use the GUI, but I think you add the GPS tags to the workspace, then assign values to them.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

amainiii

I'm an experienced software developer. Including many years with Microsoft technologies and cleaning up old projects. I'm retired now and would be happy to have something to throw myself into. If someone can get a hold of the ExifTool GUI, I'll be glad to clean it up, comment it, etc. Guaranteed no recriminations.

Phil Harvey

I seem to remember asking a long time ago if Bogdan would release the code, but I don't think he had it in a state where he thought he could do that.  Unfortunately I can't check on this communication easily because I've archived all of my mails from that long ago.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

I remember you saying something like that and found it earlier in this thread.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

UPDATE!

Bogdan is alive and has said he will send me the ExifToolGUI source code.  I'll pass it along to you if you send me your email.

- Phil

Edit: Bogdan said I could do whatever I want with the files, so I've attached his zip file of the ExifToolGUI source code to this post.

StarGeek

Quote from: Phil Harvey on February 23, 2023, 10:04:13 AMUPDATE!

Bogdan is alive and has said he will send me the ExifToolGUI source code.  I'll pass it along to you if you send me your email.

Very cool.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

amainiii

I had seen Phil Harvey's post from March 24, 2020 before requesting the source code. So my expectations were modest. I had already begun considering other options some of which may work well for me. I also begun designing a from-scratch .NET version. Checking back here, was impressed with the speed and the positive response. It says a lot about Phil and Bogdan and the general collaborative nature of this community!

I've downloaded the source code, it is Delphi Pascal. The Delphi platform was popular for years. In that ecosystem, there were third party component suppliers (not free) that you could use to build an executable, and then you could freely distribute the compiled code. I've checked the libraries that are used by ExifToolGUI and they are still available, but they seem to have changed since the versions used by Bogdan.

As far as me doing something with it, I'm weighing several factors. (1) I've written production code in at least seven languages, but not Pascal. (2) Purchasing the libraries would be a non-negligible financial investment (3) Reworking the code to work with current libraries would be some work (4) I'm not sure what the market/user demand is for ExifToolGUI (what features/functionality are used) (5) Would it be better to convert this to C# .NET for a longer future and post it as open source (6) Would it be cheaper to outsource the conversion to C# than purchase the third party libraries. (7) Would a ground-up version be a better approach based on current needs?

I am using ExifToolGUI today because of the ability to edit metadata. I can customize the Workspace to have just the tags I want to edit and fairly quickly move through the files I need to tag (archive images). But I don't know what most users of ExifToolGUI are using it for. It seems that there are great commercial products for Geotagging and organizing (digital asset management), so not sure that sort of thing is necessary in ExifToolGUI. I have exchanged email with a few providers, and they have pointed me back to exiftool for the particular metadata editing I want to do.

If what most users want is the same thing I'm using it for (a customized Workspace to quickly edit select metadata), I could create a new product that works a bit like ExifToolGUI, but without some of the other features (the Chart tab, for example).  Comments from other users of ExifToolGUI about what features they use might help me figure out how to approach whatever I'm going to do here (if anything).

Thanks again to Phil and Bogdan for delivering so quickly.

pabras

I'm a experience Delphi programmer and I still program in it (a lot), So I will have alook at the code.

But I have no idea what other people use it for.

So if their are whishes or bugs, let me know and I see what I can do.

amainiii

@pabras The problem I was seeking to fix was that once you hit save, the filelist tab refreshes, and the image/images that had been previously selected are de-selected. In directories with a lot of files, it means I have to select the filelist tab, scroll down and reselect the files before editing. This adds 30-100% to the time needed. At a minimum it would be nice if the filelist scrolled down to the exact same position it was, even if the previously selected files are no longer selected.  Also, even when you mouse over the filelist, the scroll events continue to be directed to the metadata tab instead. So you have to select the filelist tab, then scroll or page down. You have to do this carefully to avoid changing your selected files. That was all I was trying to fix. If you have some way of acquiring the old third party libraries at no cost, then maybe these issues could be easily fixed.

Martin Z

Lol, well that was 15-second rollercoaster :D 

•  I just posted a new question in the EXIFtoolGUI forum when I saw this post and my heart sank :(
•  But then I saw the Phil was able to get the source code from Bogdan (amazing! :D )
•  I promptly downloaded and un-zipped it, excited that I might be able to use the sourcecode and answer the question I just asked 8)
•  Alas it seems EXIFtoolGUI was written in Delphi and I have absolutely no knowledge of that at all so, that back to square 1 (hoping someone on the forum can answer) -- which is fine, just like I say a lot of ups and downs to go through in the space of a few seconds!  ;D

lmiol

Quote from: amainiii on February 24, 2023, 09:53:20 PM... But I don't know what most users of ExifToolGUI are using it for. It seems that there are great commercial products for Geotagging and organizing (digital asset management).

If what most users want is the same thing I'm using it for (a customized Workspace to quickly edit select metadata), I could create a new product that works a bit like ExifToolGUI, but without some of the other features (the Chart tab, for example).  Comments from other users of ExifToolGUI about what features they use might help me figure out how to approach whatever I'm going to do here (if anything)...
I am using same as you, Workspace and Custom Filelist
Also will be nice to see GEOTAG setting by map position in this app. I replace this broken feature by new app GEOPhoto https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/9WZDNCRFJ0F2

Right now i found some bugs. And it is obvious it is easier and cheaper to create new app.
I am QA and UX Designer and if someone interested to renew ExiftoolGUI I will help with design. Atleast you have nothing to lose =)

Martin Z

Quote from: lmiol on May 21, 2023, 01:18:58 PMAlso will be nice to see GEOTAG setting by map position in this app

Thanks for sharing that link, looks simply (in a nice way), will have to try it out!

Also, if you are looking for a tool to geo-tag your photos and also edit (as well as copy/paste metadata) then you might want to give GeoSetter a try (it's free).

[PS - Click thumbnail above to expand picture and show full-size]

The UI is a bit more complex than the Microsoft store app you shared, but has some handy features, like:
  • Set favourite locations -- and use these to quickly add location data to photos where it is missing, etc
  • Clean or align geo-data -- e.g. if the GPS was slightly out when the photo was taken, and the co-ordinates are actually 50m away, you can set a radius, grab all photos in that radius and then set them to the 'correct' location
  • Selectively copy metadata to other photos -- choose your base image and "copy", select the images you want to copy the metadata to and "paste", then a dialog opens and you can choose exactly what metadata to copy, keywords, locations, timestamps, etc

lmiol

Quote from: Martin Z on May 22, 2023, 05:02:34 PMThe UI is a bit more complex than the Microsoft store app you shared, but has some handy features, like:
  • Set favourite locations -- and use these to quickly add location data to photos where it is missing, etc
  • Clean or align geo-data -- e.g. if the GPS was slightly out when the photo was taken, and the co-ordinates are actually 50m away, you can set a radius, grab all photos in that radius and then set them to the 'correct' location
  • Selectively copy metadata to other photos -- choose your base image and "copy", select the images you want to copy the metadata to and "paste", then a dialog opens and you can choose exactly what metadata to copy, keywords, locations, timestamps, etc

This app is awesome. I like almost full customization!
Thank for that advise

Maybe you know how to work with HEIC format using this app?

Martin Z

Quote from: lmiol on May 25, 2023, 03:46:33 PMThis app is awesome. I like almost full customization!
Thank for that advise
Happy to help!
No worries at all!... Several of the admins like StarGeek and Phil have been really great at answering my questions and helping me out, so glad that I can return the favour!

Quote from: lmiol on May 25, 2023, 03:46:33 PMMaybe you know how to work with HEIC format using this app?
GeoSetter seems to support .heic
I'm afraid I don't have/use .heic images, however I downloaded 1-2 sample files and they seemed to work OK automatically, as in:
 • GeoSetter was able to render the image
 • It could read the metadata, etc [see below]

[click to expand]

What is it that you're trying to do?
 • If it's writing metadata (and GeoSetter doesn't seem to be able to do that) then I'm not sure am afraid
 • I've never used .heic's before so not even sure if they support EXIF, IPTC, XMP data, etc...
 • If they do, and it's a matter of not being able to edit in GeoSetter, probably the best thing is to drop the developer a line and raise it as a suggestion 👍🏼