pyExifToolGUI: a Linux/Mac OS X/Windows gui for exiftool

Started by hvdwolf, December 12, 2012, 02:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hvdwolf

Hi exiftool users,

As the subject already says:  pyExifToolGUI: a Linux/Mac OS X/Windows gui for exiftool.

If you are still interested: read on!

If you are not interested: stop reading and continue with more useful posts.

pyExifToolGui is a python pySide QT4 script program that reads and writes exif, xmp (and a very limited set of IPTC) tags from/to image files using exiftool. It can use a "reference" image as source image to copy data from. A strong point of this software is the ability to write the data, copied or not from a source image, to multiple images at once. The main goal for this tool was the ability to write gps data to images as I photograph a lot in buildings like Churches/Cathedrals and Musea (when allowed), which means that the gps functionality of the camera doesn't function. And sometimes you have already made 20 photos while your GPS is still not up-to-date or uses settings from your previous location.
Next to the gps functionality pyExifToolGUI also supports a limited set of exif and xmp tags but will slowly grow into a general exiftool Gui and will also write other tags to your images.

This pyExifToolGUI tool is NOT a geotagging tool!

pyExifToolGui is a graphical frontend for the excellent open source command line tool ExifTool by Phil Harvey. pyExifToolGui is not a complete ExifTool Gui, far from that. As said: I needed a tool to add gps data to my images and couldn't find one and decided to write my own. "By accident" it contains more functions as ExifTool is a powerful tool and once you have written the basic program Gui skeleton it is relatively easy to add extra functionality, which is basically to add more exif/xmp/iptc tags and add them to the "write to image" functions. This is a really time consuming process but not a difficult one.

As far as I know this is the first exiftool gui for Linux and Mac OS X. For windows there is the free, closed source, no longer supported, Exiftool Gui. It has more functionality then my pyExifToolGUI, but misses some mass-change functions and the new GPano functionality.

Features:

• Supports in "read" mode all formats exiftool itself supports. Preview thumbnails only for standard image formats.
  • Select one photo, copy tags, and copy the copied tags to many photos.
  • Writes GPS data to (selected) images.
  • Writes several exif and xmp tags to images.
  • Removes metadata (if you want that).
  • Supports new Google Photosphere (gpano) functionality.

If you want to download and try it, simply visit my website(1).

If you want to have "some kind of first look": See the online manual(2).

Note: This is the first release (0.2) and it might crash on you or not even start (Mac OS X?). The coming weeks you might see new versions with added functionality (and less bugs?).

Quirks and "Things to Do"

Linux: The program is not yet packaged for any distribution. Use the setup.py script to install.

Windows: First start takes very long. Rename your downloaded exiftool(-k).exe to exiftool.exe. You will see a "command box" flash every time exiftool is used by pyExifToolGUI. This should be solvable but I haven't yet.

Mac OS X: This is my first "pythonized" bundle for Mac OS X (after ImageFuser, Hugin, Panini, Avidemux as normal bundles. Note that I'm only the creator of ImageFuser. I packaged the other ones). Sometimes pyExifToolGUI crashes on first start. This only occurs with the full bundle.

General:

• Expand functionality
  • Improve stability of Mac version
  • Remove "flashing" of "command box" on windows.
  • Create packages for Linux.
  • Many bugs to fix?

Harry

(1): <http://panorama.dyndns.org/index.php?lang=en&subject=pyExifToolGUI&texttag=pyExifToolGUI>

(2): <http://panorama.dyndns.org/pyExifToolGUI/manual/pyexiftoolgui.html>
See my jExifToolGUI cross-platform java application (Website, Releases, Changelog) for Phil's marvelous exiftool.

Phil Harvey

Hi Harry,

This look great!  I have added a link from the ExifTool home page.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

hvdwolf

pyExifToolGUI 0.4.0.1

After a very long period of inactivity I started working on pyExifToolGUI again.
I moved my source code repository from my own server to github.
I just released version 0.4.0.1.

In this 0.4.0.1 release:

- Geotagging has been added to pyExifToolGUI
- (0.4.0.1): Correct pyExifToolGUI homepage link
- [Win] Bugfix: Fix incorrect escaping when exiftool itself resides in path with spaces
- Bugfix: Fix when renaming to full date-time, this always added a number (00) even when not wanted.

See the website: http://hvdwolf.github.io/pyExifToolGUI/ for more info, downloads, the online manual, etc.

For some older news see: https://plus.google.com/101534707885005820990/posts/LinWb4umKb6
See my jExifToolGUI cross-platform java application (Website, Releases, Changelog) for Phil's marvelous exiftool.

refrain

Hi, Harry.

I've tried to install pyExifToolGUI 0.5 on Ubuntu 12.04 and run the setup script from the command line with :
Quotesudo ./setup.py install
but what I got was this error message:
Quotesudo: ./setup.py: command not found
and when i run the setup script from the command line with
Quotesudo ./install_remove.py install
what I got was this error message:
QuoteYou have chosen to install pyExiftoolGUI on your system

=======================================================

usage: setup.py [global_opts] cmd1 [cmd1_opts] [cmd2 [cmd2_opts] ...]
   or: setup.py --help [cmd1 cmd2 ...]
   or: setup.py --help-commands
   or: setup.py cmd --help

error: option --install-layout not recognized

=======================================================

But when i checked into the folder where I untarred the pyExifToolGui-x.y.tgz, i found that there is 'setup.py' file.

Then i tried to install pyExifToolGUI 0.3.1 on Ubuntu 12.04. Finally, there's no errors when i installed it, but when i tried to run it, it didn't look want to run. Like nothing happened.

How are those possible? Any guidance? Hope someone help me. Thanks. :)

Regards,

Intan