Main Menu

args file does not work

Started by Jossie, January 29, 2013, 10:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jossie

Good evening,

the args-file which come with the implementation work fine (e.g. xmp2exif.args). However, if I write my own file (e.g. the example from the GUI documentation typed into Notepad, or just a single line like "-EXIF:all < XMP:all") I get the log-file box showing me all the tags in my file like the following:

======== ./Test_ohne_Metadaten.jpg
ExifTool Version Number         : 9.14
File Name                       : Test_ohne_Metadaten.jpg
Directory                       : .
File Size                       : 36 kB
File Modification Date/Time     : 2013:01:29 15:51:46+01:00
File Access Date/Time           : 2013:01:29 15:51:46+01:00

Rating                          : 0
Image Width                     : 648
Image Height                    : 460
Encoding Process                : Baseline DCT, Huffman coding
Bits Per Sample                 : 8
Color Components                : 3
Y Cb Cr Sub Sampling            : YCbCr4:2:0 (2 2)
Image Size                      : 648x460
    1 image files read
    3 files could not be read
File not found: ÿþ-
<-END-

I have no idea what is going wrong with my own files. What is meant by "File not found:" ? It gives me the header information from the correct jpg-file. So it cannot be the input file. If I use e.g. xmp2exif.args from the installation, it works. So also the args-file is obviously found...

Please note also that 3 files are claimed unreadable, although only a single file was marked.

Any hint would be highly appreciated.

Best wishes

Hermann-Josef

Phil Harvey

Hi Hermann,

If you had attached the argfile I would have known for sure, but I'm guessing that the editor you used for the argfile didn't create a plain text file.  Either that or your argfile format is incorrect somehow.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Jossie

Hi Phil,

thanks for the extremely fast reply!

Here is my test file - very simple, just the example from the GUI-documentation.

Best regards

Hermann-Josef

Phil Harvey

Hi Hermann,

My guess was correct.  This file is not plain text, but is encoded as UCS-2 (or UTF-16).

You need to use either ASCII or UTF-8 encoding for the argfile.

Also, you shouldn't use quotes in the argfile as you have done.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Jossie

Hello Phil,

well, now I used Notepad from scratch and it works --- with and without the quotes.

I had opened the args-file which came with the installation with "Windows Write", changed them and saved them as txt. Obviously this was the problem.

If I open Notepad and insert the content from the args-file via the clipboard into a new file and save it, then it works.

Many thanks for pointing this feature out to me. It will save me quite some work.

Best regards

Hermann-Josef

scharott

Hallo "Jossie" - Hermann-Josef,
ich habe den Dialog gesehen. Vielleicht ist es interessant, auch die Abhandlung im LINK zu lesen, die sich in Deutsch mit dem Thema der ARGUMENTE-Datei befasst.
Und hier für unsere internationalen Freunde:
I read this dialogue. Possibly, you are interested on the report about ARGUMENTE-files in German language under the Link

http://www.bsw-foto.de/downloads/downloads/exiftoolGUI-mit-ARGUMENT-Dateien.pdf

scharott