duplicating v. overwrite and PS CS6 thumbnails....

Started by J_ph, September 19, 2013, 09:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_ph

Here's the short story... some people have experienced problems with thumbnails not showing up in 10.8 finder with files saved within Photoshop CS6. Unfortunately I have one of those computers with the thumbnail problem. I've been through all the standard, house cleaning, ONYX etc. There is no consistent setup between the affected systems. The latest thought was that it was a bug with the OS and the metadata. And that's where Exiftool comes in.

If I remove "-XMP:All=" and/or  "-IPTC:ALL="   and then overwrite the file nothing happens, the thumbnail remains invisible in the finder, but if I remove "-XMP:All=" and/or  "-IPTC:ALL=" and allow ExifTool to copy the file and leave the original intact. The new copied file will show a thumbnail within the finder.

Should a file duplicated by ExifTool be exactly the same as a file that ExifTool would overwrite, or does ExifTool somehow correct other problems when duplicating a file?

I've attached a zipped file with 2 folders one identified as "thumbnail" and one as "no thumbnail". The same command was applied with Exiftool to both files, the exception being that one allowed "-overwrite_original_in_place". The folder named "thumbnail" contains the file that ExifTool duplicated instead of overwriting. The "no thumbnail" version contains the file that removed the metadata but overwrote the file. The 2 files seem exactly the same to me but my resources (brain-power) are limited. Both files contain thumbnails, it's just a problem with them showing in the finder 10.8.x

thanks in advance

Phil Harvey

The duplicated file will be the same.  However, Apple OS X may cache the thumbnail images and not rebuild it when you overwrite the original file.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).