Author Topic: Change orientation of photo made by iPhone in rotated position  (Read 2258 times)

plutov

Hello.
I use exiftool some time for getting create date, but now I have found a problem on site. Photos that made by iPhone in rotated position uploaded to site in incorrect orientation (rotated). I know that ExifTool can overwrite orientation of file.

After some education I use this command:
Code: [Select]
exiftool -n -r -overwrite_original -if "$Orientation ne 1" -Orientation=1  test.jpg
After this I run:
Code: [Select]
exiftool -n -Orientation  test.jpg
that returns:
Orientation: 1

So command runs correct. But when i open file in windows or browser, it still rotated. I will atach this file. I don't know source of problem. Can you help me and sorry for my english.

http://dev.tuffle.com/img/memory/image/test.jpg
Also, in Chrome this image looks good.

Phil Harvey

• ExifTool Author
  • Administrator
  • ExifTool Freak
    • ExifTool Home Page
Re: Change orientation of photo made by iPhone in rotated position
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 07:08:46 AM »
The problem is that your Windows software doesn't respect the EXIF orientation.

The image orientation is correct in Safari.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

plutov

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 07:18:55 AM »
Hi, Phil.

Yes, in my Chrome I see image correct. But I use exiftool after image upload on my site, and this photo is always rotated after exiftooling. Should I rotate in manually using some other program?

Phil Harvey

• ExifTool Author
  • Administrator
  • ExifTool Freak
    • ExifTool Home Page
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 07:20:53 AM »
The only way to make sure that an image is displayed correctly it to physically rotate the image and set the EXIF Orientation to 0.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).