Main Menu

Extract XMP from DNG

Started by ParkerPhoto, May 16, 2013, 09:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParkerPhoto

Hello,

I need some help on extracting xmp files from DNG files (I'm using a Mac)  created in Lightroom 4.  I have a folder of 800+ images.
Is there a way to extract an entire folder?  I'm a complete Noob and have zero experience with the "Terminal" and command-lines.  I've managed to install and start ExifTool in the Terminal.   

I found this in one of the forum threads;

exiftool -xmp -b -w xmp FILE

What do I replace "FILE" with to point to the folder of DNG files?  How do I tell ExifTool on where to save the xmp files?

Thanks in advance!

Phil Harvey

Just replace FILE with the folder name.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ParkerPhoto

Hi Phil,

So, like this

exiftool -xmp -b -w xmp dir wedding/cher/color correct/PART 1 BARABASZ

"wedding" is the hard drive where the directory is located.  "PART 1 BARABASZ" is the actual name of the folder of images.
Then, how do I get the data out of Terminal and the xmp files into the same folder?

I was able to drag and drop the folder into terminal and I see the data.  However, I don't know how to save individual xmp files from the terminal.

Thanks,
Chris

Phil Harvey

Hi Chris,

The command should be:

exiftool -xmp -b -w xmp "wedding/cher/color correct/PART 1 BARABASZ"

This command will generate XMP files in the same folder as the images.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ParkerPhoto

Typed in this;  -xmp -b -w xmp Wedding/Photographic Elements/Clients/Cher/Color Correct/dngtest

and received the following;

File not found: Wedding/Photographic
File not found: Elements/Clients/Cher/Color
File not found: Correct/dngtest
    0 image files read
    3 files could not be read
    0 output files created

Did I type in something incorrectly?

Phil Harvey

Hi Chris,

Try putting quotes around the folder name as in the command I gave.  Or drag and drop the folder onto the terminal window instead of typing its name.

- Phil

ParkerPhoto

Hi Phil,

Draged and dropped the folder and typed in the following;
exiftool -xmp -b -w xmp /Volumes/Wedding/Photographic\ Elements/Clients/Cher/Color\ Correct/dngtest

It WORKED!!!!!  Thank you!!!!

Chris