Setting metadata from sidecar file

Started by ssmith001, April 30, 2013, 04:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssmith001

I'm hoping someone can lend a hand to this newbie.

I receive two weekly dumps of data from a vendor. One of the folders is a bunch of .eps image files, and the other file is a text file, containing metadata relating to each of the image files. I need to figure out how to use Exiftool to look at each of the image files, then look up the metadata in the text file, based on a common UPC code, common to both files, and then inject the metadata into the XMP namespace. Does anyone have any tips on how to make this work?

I've spent a lot of time looking in these forums and I can't locate anything that would lead we down the right road.

Thanks in advance.

Phil Harvey

The only way to parse arbitrary text files is to write a script yourself to do this.

In Perl, this would be easy, but only if you know Perl.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ssmith001

The text file is not arbitrary. There is a single file, that has all the metadata for all the images in the single folder. Does that change things?

Phil Harvey

When I said arbitrary, I was talking about the formatting of the text.  ExifTool will read CSV-format text files for instance.  But it won't look up an entry in a text file based on information from another file, so even if it could read the text file you would still have to script this yourself.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).