Warning: Shift value for IPTC:Credit is not a number

Started by jordanmm, June 18, 2013, 11:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jordanmm

Hi, I've encountered a problem when trying to write any IPTC data to a file except for keywords. Keywords works fine with the regular command line but when I try any other tag such as credit by using exiftool -credit+=PhotographerName *.jpg I get this warning

Warning: Shift value for IPTC:Credit is not a number
Nothing to do.

I don't understand why it would work fine with the keywords but not with any other tag that I try. I need to be able to write the 'caption', 'credit' and 'CopyrightNotice' tags. Please help, thanks.

Phil Harvey

The += operator is used to add items for list-type tags, and increment/decrement numbers for non-list-type tags.  If you get this warning it is because IPTC:Credit does not support a list of values.  See the tag name documentation to see which tags support lists.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

jordanmm

If I want I insert 'Jordan mares manton' into the credit tag what would be the command line that I would have to use?

Phil Harvey

On Mac/Linux:

exiftool '-credit<$credit Jordan mares manton' FILE

or on Windows:

exiftool "-credit<$credit Jordan mares manton" FILE

Add a -m to the commands if you want to write the tag even if Credit didn't previously exist.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).