Runing ExifTool From Matlab

Started by jfoster, July 02, 2013, 12:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfoster

I'm looking to use ExifTool throught it's Matlab .m files: getexif.m and putexif.m

After follwoing the instructions outlined in the .m file I tried to run getexif.m but when I did the ouputed variable read

'exiftool.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I was wondering if you knew why this was happening and how I could go about fixing it?

Phil Harvey

Did you rename "exiftool(-k).exe" to "exiftool.exe".  Is it located somewhere in that PATH?

Either of these could case the problem.  But you can also try using the full path instead of just "exiftool.exe", something like "c:\some_directory\exiftool.exe".

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

gverhoev

Hi Phil,

I also wrote my bespoke code to run Exiftool from MATLAB. However, the problem with culling through hundreds or files is that it takes a long time since I call Exiftool for every file. Is there a way that I could pass a whole filelist to Exiftool or a way to keep the program open while I am sending filenames and arguments from MATLAB?

Any help is appreciated. Cheers,

Geert

StarGeek

Quote from: gverhoev on November 21, 2018, 01:34:22 PMIs there a way that I could pass a whole filelist to Exiftool

See the -@ (Argfile) option.  Write a list of all file paths to a file, then pass that file to exiftool with -@ Filelist.txt.

Quoteor a way to keep the program open while I am sending filenames and arguments from MATLAB?

See the -stay_open option.  This option is more complex but there are some examples scattered around this forum.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).